Sixty-two

Casey

We were finally back in Texas. Which meant a lot of things. One of the most important ones being, I can talk to Kathryn and clear this whole situation up. I was heartbroken and overthinking about the breakup on the way to Florida. Coming back to Texas, I was hopeful and overthinking how I would approach the situation.

I inhale as I step into my apartment building, happy to be home. I get into the elevator and press my floor level. I finally get to see her again. I was a mixture of feelings. Happy, still kind of sad, nervous, confident, self-conscious, just a lot of things.

Getting to my floor, I let out a breath and head towards her apartment door. My heart is beating erratically in my chest but I ignore it and knock on the door. I wait impatiently for her to answer. I knew she was home since I had already seen her car parked in the parking garage. 

The door opens and my smile is wide. However, it immediately drops as I stare back at a very familiar man. "Kings, I heard you'd be back today. I wasn't expecting you to come here right away."

I grit my teeth, a million thoughts coming to mind as I glare at the dark-skinned man. Anger immediately replaces all the emotions I was feeling earlier as Kathryn makes her way towards the door. My eyes scan over her neck, spotting 3 visible hickies. I glare at Thomas. 

He smiles shyly before turning back to Kathryn. "I guess I'll see you later. Vincent is eager to meet you." Kathryn smiles at the man, "I'm eager to meet him as well. Get home safely Thomas."

The man offers me a smile again before making his way to the elevator. My eyes continue to follow him until he is no longer in view. Quickly my eyes land on Kathryn in distaste. I was coming here to talk things over, but I see she's been busy this past week. I guess some people move quicker than others.

"Hey, Casey. I didn't think you would come to see me once you got back."

I furrow my brows, "I'm starting to think it was a mistake. So, Thomas just comes to visit you now? Or is this a thing since you're a newly single woman?"

The woman sighs. She glances at me, "I don't want to fight with you. Whatever you're thinking, it's not what you think. Please believe me." I scoff, "Believe you? You've been keeping secrets away from me for 2 weeks. Why should I believe anything you say?"

Kathryn doesn't say anything. She shakes her head and begins closing her door. "I'm glad you're back Casey. I missed you but I can't fight with you right now."

She smiles softly towards me and closes the door in my face. I bite on my lip, instantly regretting my anger. I didn't mean to blow up at her but seeing the hickies and then Thomas leaving her apartment stirred something in me.

- - - - -

I yawn in my hand as I enter the class. I immediately frown as I notice Kathryn and Emily talking at her desk. I wasn't exactly in the mood to see either of them, but I had one goal and that was to get over my emotions and actually graduate. 

Taking my seat beside Jasmine, my eyes betray me and land on Kathryn. My eyes crawl all over her figure, a frown settling on my face. I clench my jaw and force my eyes away as she turns away from her best friend.

I had heard not only from my friends but a few classmates that I looked like utter shit. I looked terrible, this breakup was eating my ass. Kathryn on the other hand looks as flawless as the day I met her. She didn't look tired or heartbroken like I did. She didn't look bothered about the situation at all like it had no actual effect on her.