Sixty-four

Casey

I let out a breath as I land face down on my bed. I wanted to scream out, but I hold it in, not wanting to scare my parents. I need to calm down, I only had 2 more months until I graduate. Just two months and I would be free of stress for just 2 months until I would get back into the routine. 

Luckily in college, you get to pick when you want to attend class. But it wasn't just school that was stressing me out. Rolling onto my back, I glance up at the ceiling. I could see Kathryn deteriorating physically and mentally. And I am too petty to talk to her. I'm too angry to talk to her.

Knocking at my door brings me from my thoughts. The door opens, revealing my mother she smiles kindly. "How was school?"

The question causes me to sink into my bed. I didn't want to think about school because the only thing I could vividly remember was Kathryn's tired eyes staring back at me. I groan, hoping she would change the topic to something less annoying. "Have you talked with Kathryn yet?"

I glance at the woman, who was almost an exact but older replica of my sister. And to think she would ask if I ate. "No" I answer. I sit up as I watch her walk into my room. She timidly takes a seat beside me. She knew I didn't want to talk about my recent failure of a relationship. But she was going to speak her mind anyway. 

"I think you two should sit down and talk."

"I tried talking. I tried for weeks mom! And all she did was shut me down and ignore my feelings!" I hiss as I jump up from the bed. I pace around my room, remembering how frustrating it felt to be in the relationship the last few weeks. 

My mom sighs, "Casey if you're in love with her like you continuously say you are, you'll wait for her until she's ready. There's one thing I've learned while being in any relationship, it's that sometimes your partner feels like their feelings and emotions are burdening you so they keep everything in to protect themselves."

I clench my jaw, not really in the mood to listen to the woman. Her brown eyes scan me, "I may not have been in your life for 3 years Casey, but I know you. You're scared and you're hurting and you think if you avoid this any longer eventually you'll get over it. But you won't. You're going to bury it deep inside you and you won't dig it up until it's too late and she's already moved on."

My blurred vision falls onto the woman. "I can see it in your eyes. You love her, you're in love with her and she makes you happy. Don't let whatever this is, get in the way of your happiness. Take a few more days to calm down if you need to but I am demanding you to talk to Kathryn. I was the reason your first relationship didn't end well. I want to be the reason this one ends on good terms."

My mom doesn't wait for me to say anything as she stands from the bed and walks towards my door. "Also, we invited the Lewis' over for dinner." I wipe my tears and nod my head, knowing I only had about 7 hours of freedom until Edwin and his parents came over. Which also meant Cassandra was going to find her way here any minute now. My mom makes her escape back towards the living room.

That was a relationship I craved. I was growing rather jealous of my sister and best friend. They seemed almost perfect. I calm myself down before heading over to my bed. I grab my phone from the nightstand and unlock it. The first notification to grab my attention is from Cane. 

I furrow my brows and open the message, shocked she had the guts to actually text my phone. We exchanged numbers in Utah but never actually texted each other. I guess we were both too awkward to do so.

Albino: Have you talked to Kathy recently?

Albino: Yo, Casey

Albino: Could you please check your phone, I know you teenagers cannot live without this thing!