Seventeen

Casey

I had been in my room for an hour or two after my mom arrived. I was dressed, but I didn't feel like dealing with her on my own. Which is why I got some hefty back up. I hear knocking come from the living room. Just in time too. I exit my room to find my mother in the kitchen cooking. I frown. She's getting way too comfortable.

I ignore her presence and head towards my door. I open it. Cassandra eyes me carefully before entering. I'm about to close the door behind her when a hand stops me. Edwin, Duke, and Jasmine enter. 

Jasmine eyes me for a few seconds but looks away.

Why the hell did Cass bring them here? I was fine with Edwin being here, he knows my back story but the other two didn't. I didn't want to get them mixed up in all of this mess. My mother glances back, her eyes landing on two of the familiar faces.

"Oh Cass, Eddie! It's so good to see you two" my mother smiles. She pulls the two in for a hug before her eyes land on Duke and Jasmine. "And who are you two? I don't think we've met before."

Duke takes initiative in introducing himself first. "I'm Duke, a close friend of Casey's."

My mother smiles and glances at me as if she's proud. I puke mentally, as long as she doesn't try hooking us up, I'm fine. Duke was not my type, obviously because I'm a lesbian. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't go for someone like him. He was kind of like a brother at this point. A younger and annoying little brother.

"And I'm Jasmine..." Jasmine mutters shyly. 

My mom offers her fakest smile as she shakes the girl's hand. Jasmine eyes me, to which my mother catches. "Is your friend here a lesbian?" she asks me as she eyes Jasmine with disgust. I frown and step in front of Jasmine. "She's bisexual, but it doesn't matter."

"Pan actually" Jasmine corrects. I turn towards her with a smile, "Really? That's kind of cool." Jasmine nods her head with a smile, feeling accepted. I could tell this was the first time she was coming out about her sexuality. "Pan?" my mother ruins a moment.

I sigh and turn towards the woman. "It means she doesn't care about gender, she's all about personality."

My mom glances at Cass before looking back to me. "I leave for three years, I expected for you to learn and get better, now you're making friends with this weird girl?"

"Learn and get better from what? From your mental and physical abuse? The people that I make friends with doesn't change me. I was a lesbian before I met her and I'm a lesbian now. All that my friends have taught me was to be better and not let people like you bring me down."

Cass places her hand on my mothers' back. "I think it's best we go get you that hotel room now."

My mom eyes me in disgust before nodding her head. She heads back into the kitchen and turns off the stove. "Well I made breakfast if anyone gets hungry."

She doesn't say anything else as she grabs her purse and heads out of my apartment with Cassandra. Once the two are gone I let out a deep breath I had no idea I was holding. I glance at Jasmine and the two idiots before heading into my room for some solitary. 

- - - - -

By the time I exit my room, it's damn near 3pm. And unexpectedly, my friends were still here accompanied by my sister. I smile as I watch the four play UNO. "You can't stack a draw 2 on top of another draw 2" Cass whines.

The three laugh, "That rule sucks and takes fun from the game. Stop being a pussy" Edwin nudges her. I shake my head and head into the living room, grabbing Jasmine and Cassandra's attention. "Sleeping beauty is awake now" Jasmine jokes.