Forty-two

Casey

My eyes scan over the figure sitting on the hood of my sister's car. It was finally new years eve and I would be bringing in the new year with my girlfriend. I approach the brunette, startling her. She lets out a breath before I notice her shivering. "Why are you out here if you're cold?" I question, getting onto the car. 

She shrugged her shoulders. "I was just thinking about if things will be different when we get back to Texas," she admitted. I chew on my bottom lip as I watch her face turns somber. In other words, she was worried if she would lose her job and career if we went back home. I wrap my arm around her shoulders and pull her into me. 

"I think the only thing that will change is the fact you would only have 7 more months with me until I leave for college."

Kathryn frowns as she moves her head to glance at me. "Have you decided where you want to go? Or have you applied to any?" I nod my head and glance away from her. 

"I applied to a lot of colleges last year and got an acceptance letter from four colleges. None of them are in Texas. The closest one would probably be Langston."

Suddenly the talk about college made my heartache. I didn't want to go somewhere far away from Kathryn, where I couldn't see her for certain periods of time. A slender finger brings my attention back to the brunette. She smiles softly, "Casey, don't take this opportunity for granted. I'll be fine. There are still the holidays, you'll have to come home for Thanksgiving, winter, and summer break. Or I'll go visit you."

My lips spread into a smile. She had a point. "And plus, everyone goes to Langston. Pick something different, explore a little. Maybe go up north so you can see a white Christmas."

I press my lips against her forehead. "I'll miss you. I miss you just thinking about it."

Kathryn smiles, "Me too baby." I scan her face before speaking. "I don't think you'll lose your job. You're a really great teacher and the staff loves you. I think if you just talk to the principal he'll let you finish the year and then make you leave without putting it on your record."

I smile, "We should go fishing during spring break." Kathryn eyes me, "You know how to fish?"

"Not even." Her laughter graces my ears, "Then why go fishing? Neither of us knows how to fish."

I shrug my shoulders, "I think it will be fun. Just me and you on a lake, fishing without any knowledge of how to actually catch a fish. Imagine one of us actually gets one, it's going to be fun trying to reel it in."

The brunette smiles. "Sounds like a nice date." She rests her head on my shoulder as silence takes over us. This was always the kind of relationship I wanted. Where we weren't always just crazy to have sex. Where we could talk comfortably and when it got quiet there was no awkward tension. I grab Kathryn's hand, my smile widening at the sight of the ring I'd given her on her birthday.

"Do you think I gave you the ring too early?" I find myself questioning. I was a bit self-conscious about it. What if I was moving too fast? What if I fell in love too quickly? Would she feel the same way? Or was this just rushed?

Her hands intertwine with my own. "I can't answer that for you Casey. If your question is, do you think our relationship is rushed, my answer to you would be no. Everyone falls in love some faster than others some takes 5 years. Even though we've only been together for a short period, I feel like I've known you my whole life. This feels right to me, I love being with you."

I kiss the top of her head, "You're good with your words Kathryn Howard."

The woman cringes visibly causing me to chuckle. "You don't like when I call you Kathryn Howard?" I question, playing with her ring. "I don't know. It feels weird. You usually either call me Kathryn or Ms. Howard, you've never just said my full name in one go."