chapter 6.

KIM'S POV;

Mist hung low against the deep grey lake. Clouds filled the sky above, leaving a dark atmosphere underneath them. The tiny wooden dock ran along the side of the lake, whilst overgrown green bushes and trees tangled themselves together behind it.

I sighed quietly as I unscrewed the lid of the bottle, taking a long swig. The vodka burned as it slid down the back of my throat. It didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I liked it. A warm, subtle stinging feeling was left in my stomach.

My legs were cold and bare revealing the black and white tattoo covering the top of my left thigh. I sat cross legged on the edge of the dock, every now and then looking over the muggy, misty grey lake rippling in time with the wind.

The lonely feeling deep inside me began to fade with every sip.

INDIE'S POV;

"Kim, Kyle I'm back!" I called out to the flat above the jingling of the keys and rustling of the bags.

No answer.

The flat was silent and dead.

"Hellooo?" My voice rang out.

I propped the bags up against the creamy wall and proceeded to approach the living room. The sound of my feet padding about the wooden floor echoed from room to room.

As I wandered deeper into the living room, a faint snore danced its way towards me. I cautiously and silently hovered above the sofa into the abyss of pillows and blankets sprawled everywhere, and spotted two feet poking out at the end. I prodded the mess with my icy cold finger, causing a lump to start moving around underneath it all. A muffled mutter erupted as it managed to awkwardly roll off the edge of the sofa and flop onto the carpet. A groan of pain and discomfort filled the silence in the empty room. The lump was still covered in blankets and pillows but spread across the carpet, unable to move.

A glass ash tray stained with cigarette butts lay next to the lump. I crouched to pick it up whilst an aroma of smoke hung low down by the floor, making me gag slightly.

"I've told you enough times about smoking in the house," I sighed, making my way to the kitchen with the ash tray held out at a distance.

A tiny mumble called after me. I continued to stride over to the sink to wash out all the cigarettes. The significant smell still stuck in my nose, causing the back of my throat to seize up.

One of my biggest pet peeves is smokers. However when your brother is one of them, it gets very hard to control your natural instinct. I've tried to help him so many times, but he always finds a way to walk around the subject. I can't blame him though. After washing the grime off, I placed it to dry on the draining board, perched sideways leaning against the wall. I wandered back into the living room and collapsed onto the sofa. The lump was still at the bottom of it. I prodded it with my foot.

"Where's Kim?" I spoke up, continuing to prod it.

A rather sleepy yet angry face peered out the covers. His hair was sticking up in all directions whilst droopy black bags hung under his deep green eyes. A porcelain pale white face making the bright bloodshot eyes stand out.

"I don't know," he muttered like a thunder clap.

I raised my eyebrows at the abominable sight sprawled before me.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the sofa," I teased, giggling at my own joke and prodding his cheeks with my toes.

"Go away, Indie," he moaned, rolling further into the blankets and pillows.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated against my thigh causing me to stop prodding Kyle and fidget about before unlocking it.

From: Phil

-Hey, it's Phil :) just checking to see if we have the right numbers

A smile crept upon my face. I replied the fastest I could've typed.

To: Phil

-hi, it's Indie. Yeah I'm sure we have the right numbers :)

Before I could think about grammar and spellings, I sent it.

I locked my phone and slipped it back into the back pocket of my acid washed skinny jeans. I slumped back into the sofa, letting out a small sigh. I glanced back over to Kyle. He looked so peaceful when he slept. His natural wavy hair hung close to his face.

The flat was quiet and motionless, whilst the bustle of London was drowned outside. You could almost hear Kim's cactus growing. It was a house warming present that Kyle and I bought her (well, I bought and signed from him), when she moved in to her new apartment. Except she doesn't spend any time there, so she keeps it at ours. Kyle hates her with a passion. They don't get along at all. Yet they could trust each other with their lives. It's a strange relationship.

A small shuffling noise drifted its way towards me. Without making any sound, Kyle slipped back presumably into his room. I focused on the pile of pillows and blankets under my feet then pulled them off the floor and wrapped around me.

A loud bang erupted from the front door followed by a crash. I darted my head towards it. A very drunk Kim stumbled about before tripping over her own feet and collapsing on the floor.

"Where have you been?!" I frowned, throwing the covers off of me and walking over to help her up.

I gently closed the door and stared down at Kim, who was lying on the floor looking up at me with confused eyes.

"You've grown, Indie," she giggled, then suddenly stopped and a horrified expression crossed her face.

"Or maybe I've shrunk," she blurted out, feeling around her facial features for some unknown reason.

I chuckled whilst I crouched down and wrapped my arms around her waist, hoisting her up.

"You haven't shrunk, Kim," I explained, trying to hold in all my laughs.

"Well, not now, because I've grown again," she slurred out, an amazed expression running around her face.

I bit my lip trying so hard not to laugh whilst guiding her over to the sofa.

I sat her down and edged myself closer, wrapping the duvets around us. She snuggled down next to me and rested her head on my shoulder.

I sighed before asking her, "Where have you been, Kim?"

She grunted.

"To the lake," she mumbled.

"Where'd you get the alcohol?"

"Kyle."

I sighed again.

"Of course"