Chapter 35~An Unexpected Reunion

I stood frozen on my heels. I must be dreaming. I must be. The people standing in front of me felt unreal yet so real.

“Sup bitch?” Lexi shot her signature crooked smile at me, Maddie mirroring her action. I’m definitely dreaming.

“Aren’t you going to invite us in? It’s rude to keep the guest waiting when the food is all set for us to devour!” Andy exclaimed in his high-pitched voice, looking behind my shoulder, scanning the dining table.

A very nice dream. I smiled at all of them.

“Uh yeah. Sure, come in!” I moved aside, clearing the way for them to come in.

They all walked in one by one. Maddie and Lexi were taking in the view of the house while Andy grabbed David by his hand towards the dining table. An uncontrollable chuckle escaped my mouth, the most blissful one I had in a while.

“My surprise surely seemed to have surprised you,” Shawn whispered into my ear. I turned my sight towards him, he had his head lowered to reach my sight level, staring directly into mine.

“How-... I mean… How did you manage to get them here?” 

“Took some convincing and bribing, but here they are.” He smirked.

“Bribing?” I failed to hide the sadness in my voice. Are things really that bad?

“I’m kidding, Maya. I just convinced them and with a little explanation, they were all on board.” 

“There is no food?” Andy shrieked from behind the dining table and we all looked at him at the same time, unable to hold back our laughter.

“So you're telling me that we traveled 200 miles here, exhausted our invaluable body and energy, and for what? We don't even get food! How can you be so cruel, Maya?” He feigned great betrayal, his expressions were hilarious.

“I didn't know you guys were coming over! Do you think I wouldn't prepare more food if I had any idea? I could never do such cruelty!” I defended myself, feigning the tier of drama with the same zeal.

“Good point.” He turned towards Shawn, “How can you be so cruel, Shawn? You literally dragged our asses here and you do not even provide us food! You owe me a lifetime of free pizzas. You would pay, of course.” Andy crossed his arms, marking that the deal was non-negotiable.

“Hell no. I am not doing shit.” Shawn huffed.

“Fine. But your car keys are mine now. For a month. And I'm not compromising anymore.” Andy raised his arms in the air.

Shawn huffed louder than before but eventually agreed. It felt nice to see them bantering again. I suddenly felt like I was under someone's continuous stares. I turned my head to the side to find David awkwardly gawking at me.

It felt strange. Although it was nice to see everyone again, to see him again, the tension between the air felt weird. I tried to push my overthinking aside and focus on the people that meant the world to me.

Amidst all the noises and chaos and laughter among the six of us, I completely forgot about Niall. He walked in only to find a more crowded living room and he looked at me in puzzlement.

“Who is he?” Maddie asked, her eyes not leaving Niall's sight as she blatantly checked him out.

“Guys, he is Niall. He is a really good friend of mine and also, my roommate.” 

The four of them stared at me in awe as if I just announced marriage between an ant and an elephant.

“You live with him? The girls questioned at the same time, one out of curiosity and the other out of incredulity.