Chapter 4~Unfriendly Friendship

There was a momentary pin drop silence that prevailed around the office, except only the ticking of the wall clock could be distinctly heard.

"Oh... Okay, I see. It seems like there has been some sort of misunderstanding. I apologize, Ms. Matthews." He finally spoke, adjusting his cylindrical spectacles.

"No no, it's alright sir," I intervened sheepishly.

"But you better start attending your class Mr. Daniels and Ms. Matthews, it's your duty to ensure it."

"Got it." We both said in unison.

"You may leave now."

We hurriedly got up from our seats and took off.

"Maya, wait!" Shawn called me from behind, bringing me turn around to face him.

"Hey, I'm sorry what happened back there. I didn't know he would drag you into it." He apologized ambivalently, running his hand through his messy hair.

"Yeah, whatever," I replied, and walked away increasing my pace. I just wanted to get out of this place.

“Hey, hey!” He called out again, jogging and catching up to me he continued, “Listen I'm sorry okay. I didn't mean to drag you into trouble on my first day here. I couldn't find my class, so I just... went to explore other classes here and then wandered around." He said, his voice trailing off by the end.

I could swear I saw his face turn red for a second.

"Okay. Apology accepted. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go."

"Where are you heading?" He asked, walking along with me “If you don't mind me asking."

"Home." I replied.

"Home? Do you go straight home from school? Don't you hang out with your friends? I mean, assuming everyone seems to know you here, you must have a large friend circle."

"Well, you assumed wrong. I don't."

"Why are you such taciturn? Replying to everything I say in short sentences.” He stepped forward and positioned himself in front of me, his face facing me as he walked forward in a backward manner.

"Why are you so loquacious?" I retorted, still walking, the path seemed to never end.

What is this? A Soap opera?

"Okay, point taken. So...where are we going?"

I stopped on my step right there, my left leg flying in mid-air, and I turned to face him.

“What do you mean by 'we'?”

"Yeah, We! Where are we going?"

"There is no We!" I screeched.

"Oh yes there is. You need to help me catch up on my studies, remember?"

"But we can do it here, right? In school!"

"Yes we could, but that leaves us with lunch breaks and a few classes that we have together, which I don't think is suitable for any of us so that leaves us with time only after the school ends." He explained, emphasizing his words strongly, “And since you go straight home after school, that's the only option we could work with.” He ended his argument, making complete sense.

"Ugh, Fine! Let's go." I sighed, terminating the argument.

~

We walked through the gateway, stepping into the vintage marble bricks leading us to my house.

We waited at the porch for the door to open as I rang the doorbell. Shawn looked around to retain my neighborhood.