Chapter 18~ The Repercussions

I couldn't move.

My body felt numb as I stood there, shivering under the cold, winter night. My mind was too paralyzed to process what I just heard.

As the information sunk in, I realized the loss I was going to come on terms with.

She's...gone. I will not see her... Ever again.

I turned away, with my back facing them, and I stared down on the ground blankly.

“Maya...?” Shawn spoke softly, his hands rubbing my arms.

“I will never see her again. She wouldn't give me any advice from now on. Sh-she was so excited to see Lizzy perform for the first time. She didn't even get the chance to. Sh-she is gone, Shawn... She's gone.” I muttered softly, an emotionless tear trickling down on my cheek.

“I'm so sorry, Maya. I'm sorry.” A warm tear trickled down, burning the crook of my neck as he hugged me tightly. I didn't reciprocate. I stood there still, numb.

“I need to go.” I huffed as I pushed him away. He watched me in shock as I avoided any sort of contact.

“Maya-”

“I need to go.” I stormed off and let my feet move to somewhere, anywhere away from all of this fiasco until I realized I was standing right in front of the porch of my house. I was too busy hoping to wake up from this terrible sleep and conclude it was all just a horrific dream. But it wasn't. 

I turned my doorknob and stormed off directly inside my room. I wasn't in the state to talk to anyone. All I wanted was to be left alone.

I felt someone's footsteps coming up by the stairs as I sunk my face deep inside my cold pillow.

“Sweetie? Are you okay?” I heard my mom's worried voice echoing around my room as the bed sunk in deeper as she sat on it.

“Did you know about... Mrs. Evans?” I asked, my face still dipped inside the pillow.

“Y-yeah. We learned about it this evening. I tried calling you but your phone was not reachable.” She spoke softly.

“I want to be left alone, Mom.” I said, coldly.

She just nodded and stood up to leave. She turned slowly and said, “It will be soon all okay, sweetie.” And left the room, closing the door behind her.

It's already too late for that, Mom.
                                  ~

The sunlight crawled in through the minimum space allowed by the fallen curtains, the rays sending gentle warmth on the floor.

But the closer the rays crept inside, the more my anticipation grew in. My eyes fluttered close as I struggled to hold myself to get up and shut down the little light that illuminated my murky room.

I stared at my ceiling emptily, my body glued at the center of my now very warm bed for exactly three days. I hadn't left my bed ever since that night. Consequently, missing all of my classes and avoiding hurricanes of calls and messages. I wasn't avoiding anyone, I was just taking my time to cope up with... stuff.

I heard the clicking of the door open and I immediately groaned under my breath. I forced to lift my head only to see my mom shooting me disapproving glares.

“How long are you planning to hide inside your room, Maya Matthews?” Her stern voice echoed around the room.

She called me by my full name! She must be pissed.

“I am not hiding, Mom. I just don't feel like going out.” I grumbled.

“You can't fool me, Maya. I'm your mother. Are we again back at square one where you block everyone whenever something like this collides?”