Chapter 11~A Blessing in Disguise

I walked up to the porch and stood there for a while, thinking about everything Shawn told me that evening. It was heartbreaking how he suffered so much after losing his mother.

One doesn't recognize the worth of someone until we lose them. We don't appreciate their presence until there is no one to appreciate anymore. He told me how much he missed his mother and had so much to tell her but he didn't when he had the chance, and that made me realize that I still did. I couldn't even imagine my life anywhere without my mom around. And I was grateful for that.

I turned the doorknob, opening the door, took off my shoes, and placed it in the shoe rack. Before I could enter, my mom ran towards me with a worried look painted across her face.

"Sweetie, are you alright? Are you hurt? I tried calling you so many times but your phone was unreachable. Are you okay sweetie?" She gasped, all her words escaping her mouth in a single breath.

"Mom, I'm okay! Why are you so tense?" I asked in a dazed tone.

"Mr. Johnson called me earlier saying that you were not feeling well and wanted to take the day off. Are you okay my baby? Where have you been?" She dumped too many questions at once in an anxious tone.

"Oh that. I was feeling a little dizzy so I needed to take the day off and since both of you were at work during that hour, Shawn offered to rest at his place." I answered, which was partially the truth. "And for the phone, I just realized that my battery died."

She finally let out a sigh of relief, her expressions softening. "Thank goodness! You made me worried, Maya." 

I just smiled blissfully at her. He was right. I was still very lucky to have her.

I hugged her while she still kept on babbling.

"I love you, Mom," I said, closing my eyes and hugged her tightly. "Even when I don't say it out loud, please know that I love you very much."

She went quiet, probably perplexed about where this was coming from, and hugged me back, caressing my head.

"I... know, sweetie." She replied softly.

We stood there for what felt like an eternity, blissful.
                                ~

The next few days were nothing out of ordinary. Exams were around the corner and we engage ourselves with studies. Shawn almost caught up with everything he missed and was genuinely studying for the exam and was equally committed to his practice for the upcoming tournament.

"I really need a time machine, man!" Shawn shrieked out of the blue while studying.

"Huh?" I asked astonishingly.

"I need a time machine to go back to the time when the apple fell on Newton's head! That's how I can save the future kids from the torment he created because of an apple!" He snapped.

I laughed at his outburst. Studies did get on his nerves sometimes.

"I really don't feel like studying." He said, turning his pages.

"Shawn!" I eyed him admonishingly.

"Ugh, fine!" He whined, adjusting his posture, "You know, you're cute when you're bossy."

I raised my eyebrow playfully. "Why, thank you."

"Who would have thought that we would grow so much as close friends, It seemed impossible when we first met." He reminisced.

"I know. Ugh, you were so obnoxious that I couldn't even stand you. And look at us now." I admitted.

He took and held my hand with his and said, "Let's promise one thing to each other that we will never break." He continued, looking me into the eyes. “I'll go first.”