Chapter 29~ Mend What's Broken

The entire night was a blur. The only specifics I remembered was I called Andy and talked to Maddie instead and ran into Shawn out of all people in the same night. Ironic, isn’t it?

Seeing Shawn after all this time was the least I expected tonight. Staring in those dreamy eyes launched uncountable emotions but something felt empty. The blank, coldness that blanketed him pierced an agonizing pain through my chest.

I stared at the ceiling, the ticking of the clock sounded annoyingly loud. I don't even remember how I got into my apartment. My thoughts clouded around the memories of Shawn. Events starting from the day I saw that cocky asshole in the principal's office till the clueless, hurt look on his face when I walked away from the perfect date.

The coldness that radiated through him tonight, hurt. So much that it physically hurt. I didn't blame him.

Damage is done, Maya. His words echoed around my mind restlessly until my eyes felt heavy and soon I drifted off.

**

“Come on, Maya. It's a fun game.” The voice whispered in my ears. He was smiling. It was a weird smile.

"I don't understand this game. And it hurts." I whined. I suggested they play scrabbles with me but they rejected it and I pouted.

"You're no fun, Maya." 

"I am." I defended myself. Ugh. They knew I hate it when they say that. I don't have friends around my house and they are the only ones I get to play with and they call me boring. I hate it.

"Don't be silly, Maya. You want to be cool, don't you? You want people to think that you are cool and be your friend right?” He played with his one eyebrow, pulling it up.

How did he do that?

" Yes," I admit. I look down and sigh.

"Good girl. Now come here." He again had that weird smile.

"This is going to be one hell of a show." Another voice mumbled and they high-fived each other.

"Walk faster you little-”

“Get out!” I shrieked in horror. My eyes fled open and I immediately sat back. I panted heavily, my chest rising and falling and warm moisture dripping down my chest.

I tried to calm my nerves and began breathing deeply.

What the heck? Why is this happening again? I never had them all these years. Why now?

The door to my room was pushed open and in came a worried Niall. He must have heard me screaming.

“Maya, are you alright?” He asked in a panicked voice and held my arm.

“Yeah, I'm okay, Niall. It was just a bad dream.” I half lied.

“Jesus! I thought something happened to you and I lost my shit.” His hand that rested on my arm moved back to my head and he pressed his forehead against mine.

“I am okay, really. I'm sorry I woke you up.” I apologized sheepishly.

“Don't be ridiculous. It's my job to protect you at all costs. What are half-boyfriends for?” He joked with a light laugh.

“Shut up. You are not.” I joined him and we both laughed.

“Do you want to talk about your dream?” He asked softly.

“No, it's nothing. I don't even remember it now.” I lied. I didn't want him to worry about my long-lost nightmares.

“Okay, then. I will leave you be. But if you need anything, just run into my arms.” He winked at me before getting up.