Chapter 6~Heart To heart

I stormed in as soon as I reached home.

"Mom!" I called. I was pissed at this whole situation.

"Hey, sweetie. You're home early." She greeted as she came out of the kitchen.

"Mom... Why did you agree to it?" I demanded, trying to keep myself calm and composed.

"About what, sweetie?" She gave me a puzzled look.

"Why did you agree to let Shawn take me to the homecoming dance?" I asked, softening my voice.

"I am not letting my only daughter not enjoy her last homecoming dance in high school by not having a date to the dance!" She objected. "And I knew you would want to go alone and bail from the dance after some time. And since Shawn approached himself asking me if he could take you to the dance, then why not? It's a win-win."

"But mom, I-"

"No buts, sweetie. You have to go. Do it for me, please?" She requested, doing her signature puppy eyes, compelling me to do whatever she asked for.

"Argh, fine! Stop making that face. That's not fair." I retorted.

"That's my Ace card, honey." She said, winking at me.

"Alright. Now go and change. We need to go out." She said, picking up the car keys from the key holder.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see, Hurry! We have to go now. Go and change into something nice."

I withdrew further argument since I knew it would simply go in vain.

I headed upstairs to my room and opened my closet and snatched the first outfit my hands landed on. I donned a light peach sweatshirt with a distressed denim mini skirt and knee-length boots. I tied my hair into a half ponytail, applied some lip gloss, and headed downstairs.

"I'm ready. Now could you tell me where are we going?"

"We're going shopping sweetie." She announced, re-checking if she had everything she needed with her.

"For what?"

"To buy you a homecoming dress," She answered.

"But why? I already have tons of clothes in my closet. I could just wear something in there." I protested.

Mom cocked her eyebrows at me. I knew exactly what she was thinking.

I always kept whining around the house "I don't have anything to wear." every two days or the other and now all of a sudden I had tons of clothes in my wardrobe that I didn't need another dress?

Moronic me.

"I know. And that is exactly why we're going out. You need a nice fancy dress for your homecoming." 

"Fine!" I sighed.

I could never win against her on this. She acted so juvenile sometimes that I feel like she was the daughter here and not the other way around.
                                   ~

We drove past a few streets before arriving at my mom's favorite boutique.

"Hey Vanessa, how have you been?" My mom greeted a seemingly nice lady, who I supposed, was the owner of the boutique.

"Mrs. Matthews! So good to see you! I'm absolutely fine and healthy. How are you?" The lady greeted back.

"I am perfectly fine. I'm here to find my daughter a beautiful dress for her homecoming dance." She explained.