Chapter 22 - Death

Austin POV:
It's been quiet lately. Too quiet. This can only mean one thing, Ivan's planning something big. As much as I wanted to pretend that things were going back to normal, they weren't. I still couldn't sleep, everyone was on edge, and if I finally do fall asleep the night terrors still haunt me.

I was currently in Aidan's room helping him pack, he was returning home to New York. Aidan was currently babbling on about the cute guards around the estate. "All I'm saying is the one protecting the north wing, you know?" He heightened his brows.

"Ya sure." I responded not really paying attention. He was zipping his suitcase when the door opened.

My father. Has he been crying?

"Dad you okay?" I asked.

He sniffled and walked into the room. "I just got a call." He looked at Aidan with sad eyes. "There was a attack on the Vipers." His voice cracked.

"Is everyone okay?" Aidan asked, but his eyes knew that they weren't.

My father took a breath. "Aidan—your father." He stopped. "Your father was killed."

Aidan dropped the bags he was holding, his breathing deepened. His eyes glossed over and his lips moved trying to form a sentence, but no sound came out. Soon enough a tear fell, and with that he collapsed on his knees. "No. No. No." he repeated.

I was in shock myself, my uncle—dead. My father got down on his knees and took Aidan into his embrace. I knew this could only be one person. Ivan. He will do anything to take out anyone I love.

This is all my fault.

I collapsed on my knees as well and joined the embrace, also crying.

Ivan's already took my hope and will, threatened my sister and girlfriend, and know he has taken my uncle.

I had only one thought go through my mind.

He will pay dearly.

Time skip: a week later.

I was in New York with Aidan, my father, and Autumn. We were at my uncles funeral. Dressed in all black, we solemnly watched as a casket get put into the ground. Aidan was trying so hard not to cry, my father was letting tears fall. Autumn didn't understand what was happening, and I- I felt nothing. I haven't for a long time. Ever since Ivan took me, Ive had no emotions. No happiness, no anger, I've gotten used to the feeling of pain and sadness, so now all I feel is numb.

Half of the Viper gang was killed in the attack, the ones who remained pledged their loyalty to Aidan. Aidan wasn't even seventeen yet, so my father and him agreed on a treaty. The Vipers and the Spades would become one until Aidan was old enough to take over. My father would also become Aidan's legal guardian, so he would live with us until he turned eighteen.

After the casket was placed in the ground, Aidan took a step forward towards his father's tombstone. He tested his forehead on the stone and began to sob. A tear fell from my eye, although the numbness was all I felt.

My father and I walked back in the gang house to let Aidan have a final moment alone with his father.

Aidan POV:
I sat their crying at my father's tombstone for I don't even know how long. My father had always been my biggest supporter, he supported me when I came out and never tolerated homophobia from the gang members.

~Flashback~
"I'll I'm saying is I wouldn't tolerate a fag child. You wip then enough, the straight will come out." One of the gang men said to another at the bar, unaware my father and I were behind him.

"Ahmm" my father cleared his thought. The man turned around and fear covered his face at the sight of my father. 

"Sir—I didn't know you were there." He scrambled.

"Yes Jonah I'm aware. But tell me" my father paused. "My son finally has the courage to tell the world who he really is, and a mere two days after he does this is what you say."

"Sir—I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one you need to be apologizing to." My father spoke sternly.

The man turned to my skinny twelve year old self. "You want me to apologize to the fag?" The man said annoyingly. Before anyone could process, my father drew his weapon and shot him in the shoulder.

"Take him down to the cellar, so we can chat." My father announced. The cellar was were we torture people. "Does anyone else have a problem with my sons sexual orientation?" The other gang members vigorously shook their heads. "Good."
~End of flashback~

"Dad I'm sorry, I-I-I should have been here. I could have stopped them, more man power." I rambled to my father's tombstone. In my hand was a envelope my father instructed me to open after his death, but I couldn't. Not yet. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.