Chapter 46 - The Necklace

Anastasia POV:
I've been looking around the mansion for the necklace for the past two days, giving updates to both Xander and his parents. It's hard for me to look around without anyone questioning what I'm doing.

However I am very familiar with the mansion by now, and the one place I haven't looked is Romanovs office. I've gotten in before which resulted in a knife being dragged across my eye, leaving me partially blind. But if I find the necklace I can get out for good so it's worth a shot.

Romanov left for a meeting twenty minutes ago so now is the time. I used the keypad and typed in the code.

06-24-04

I walked in the office and saw the very familiar desk from many years ago. I quickly went to the other side knowing there was a safe behind the painting. I moved it and typed in the code, I know the safe has a safety feature that if I open it Romanov gets a text, but i don't need to take anything, I just need to press the button twice and then go to my room and pretend I was never here.

I opened the safe and saw a necklace with a crest I recognized from Xander's ring. It must be Ava's, I grabbed the necklace and pressed the stone twice, when I did a small green light appeared, and I quickly but the necklace back, closed the safe, locked the door to the office and ran to my room and grabbed a book, I flipped halfway through so it looked like I have been reading it all along. I knew Romanov would be back as fast as possible so I needed to appear innocent. My only hope is that Xander's family will come before he figures out I opened the safe.

About twenty minutes later I heard the door swing open and Romanov in the doorframe. "Anastasia!"

I immediately got up and stood at attention just like his soldiers. "Y-y-yes sir."

"Did you happen to go in my office today?" Romanov sneered.

"N-n-no sir, I wouldn't disobey the rules like that, I've learned my lesson." I whispered recalling the memories of them sliding a knife on my eye.

"Come with me." He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the office. "Open it."

"Sir I'm not allowed."

"I know you know the password child, open the door." Scared shitless I typed in the code.

"Good now stay, I'm going to check the safe and if anything is missing it will be your ass."

He looked in the safe and saw that nothing was gone. "Sir— I don't mean to speak out of turn but I believe I saw Graham enter the office today, h-h-he said that you told him to check something in the safe."

He looked at me with devil eyes. "He did what!"

"I'm sorry sir, I didn't alert you because I knew you were in a meeting. I understand now that was a mistake, I am ready for my punishment." I whimpered, I'm so scared when he gets angry that I just freeze. I would be sorry for Graham except when I was seven he decided to have his "fun" with me and it's payback time.

"I will deal with you later child, go back to your room."

"Of course sir." Before I could leave he grabbed my wrist.

"I'm watching you Anastasia."

I quickly ran to my room hoping that Xander's family would get here before my punishment.