Chapter 34: Blueberry Muffin

I wake up the next morning with a throbbing headache and the urge to be sick. It takes me a minute to remember that I stayed the night, and then another minute to pull myself up to a sitting position. I groan into my hands. Last night was wild. 

Grabbing my bag, I carefully step over the sleeping bodies, trying not to wake anyone up. The floor is a minefield of empty beer cans, broken glass and lifeless limbs. I locate the bathroom and make sure the door is securely locked. My temple pulsates with each groggy movement as I try to recall yesterday's events. Only fragmented pieces remain. A bitter liquid that I downed in one. Unfamiliar hands pressed against my hips. A jealous glare from a friend. I splash cold water on my face in an attempt to awaken my senses before gently pressing my fingers against my forehead. 

My jaw clenches as black sparks weave around my puffy eyes, down my pale cheeks and dance across my collarbone. Each spark pricks my skin like a thousand tiny needles. Slowly, the headache dissipates and all marks disappear. I quickly wash off the makeup, pop some chewing gum in my mouth and leave the house like last night never happened.

Masquerade! 

Seething shadows 

Breathing lies... 

Masquerade! 

You can fool any friend 

who ever knew you

'Hey Katy, how was the party?' Dad greets as I walk out of the elevator. 

'Good.' I smile, stepping into the kitchen. I grab an apple from the counter and hoist myself up onto the bar stool. Voices echo down the corridor. I forgot that Steve and Nat were here. They laugh as they emerge into the kitchen, but stop as soon as they see me. 

I watch as Nat eyes me up and down. 'So... what did you get up to last night?' She asks. 

Honestly, who knows. 'Oh, just dancing and stuff.' 

Nat gives a knowing smile but I wave her off. 'Nothing like that.' I lie. 

A feeling of exciting regret as the taste of vodka lingers on my lips, my back presses against the wall. 

'You'll be glad to know that, unlike me, Katy is sensible and doesn't get up to mischief.' Dad ruffles my hair as he passes. I roll my eyes. 

Just one more sip, a lie told many times. 

'Good to know. No one wants another you.' Nat teases.

For a while the only sound is the crunching apple between my teeth and the waking sound of the coffee machine. This morning's hangover seems like a distant dream. 

'I should get ready for this afternoon.' I say, sliding off the stool.

'Where are you headed? I can give you a lift if you want?' Steve offers.

I reach for my mug off the shelf. 'Thanks, but it's only down the road.' 

'Katy's working on a science project.' A grin plasters Dad's face as he turns to me. 'Tell them what it's about.'

Heat rises in my cheeks. 'Renewable energy.' 

'More specifically...' Dad's enjoying this too much.