Chapter 11: The Falcon

My eyes open to an unfamiliar room. Groaning, I place a tentative hand to my head. It still hurts. I try to sit up but the sudden movement makes me dizzy and I fall off the couch with a thud. 

Smooth Katy.

'Easy, you've been out for a while.' Nat comes running in, having heard the obvious bang. She slowly hoists me back up onto the couch. Her hair is damp and the soot on her skin has been washed away. 

'Where are we?' I ask, my fingers rubbing my temple. 

'Sam's house.'

I nod slowly, relieved that, for now, no one is shooting at us.

'How long was I out for?'

'About three hours.'

'I need more practice.' I mumble, slouching into the cushion.

The bathroom mirror has steamed up but I can see crusts of dried blood around my nose. It must have bled after I passed out; too much energy used at once. Despite the blood, my face has been wiped clean. Someone must have washed it. 

I stand in the shower, letting the warm water massage my muscles. Blood and dirt swirl in a pool at my feet. I think about Hydra, back from the dead. No, not dead. A parasite growing inside. Horrifying images race through my mind. My dead grandparents. Fury. My father dead. Me dead. My grandparents were killed by the metal armed man because of Hydra. Now they're hunting me. What if they found my dad? No, it would be all over the news. I remember how worried I was when our house exploded and he disappeared. At least he called. I haven't even done that. Water trickles down my face. It tastes salty. I think about how Hydra has tried, and failed, to kill me. Pierce must know I'm Ion Girl. He definitely knows I'm a Stark. When did he find out? I grumble loudly, letting the water hide my distressed voice. I play around with the sparks between my fingers. They don't shine as bright in water and instead the purple hisses into steam. I turn the tap off. I thought I was doing the right thing. Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not. A long time ago, I wished to go home. I miss Jarvis's sassiness. I miss Pepper's eccentric nature. And I miss my dad. But I am an agent, and agents don't have time to weep. I remember Aunt Peggy telling me that when I was younger. Never give up she said. And never give in. 

Fear is a liar with a smooth and velvet tongue 

Fear is a tyrant, he's always telling me to run 

I take longer than necessary to towel dry my hair, staring into the abyss of the mirror like it holds the answers to my questions. I can hear Steve and Nat whispering next door. 

'I thought I knew who's lies I was telling.' Nat says quietly. 'Guess I can't tell the difference anymore.'

'There's a chance you might be in the wrong business.' Steve repeats her words from earlier, trying to make Nat feel better. He keeps his voice low. 'Do you think Katy is ok?' 

'I don't know. Should we have sent her home?'

'No, they would have gone looking for her there. With everything she knows, it would put her family in danger. She wouldn't want that.'

'She's strong that girl. Been through a lot and she always pulls through.'

Steve mumbles in agreement. I can't help but smile at their words. We're a team who stick together. No matter what. 

'Is there any hot water left?' Nat jokes when I enter the room, making me smile. 

'Thanks for saving us back there.' Steve says, his voice genuine. He isn't praising a child, but a fellow soldier. I offer a weak smile.