Chapter 35: Grey Bird

Content Warnings: Mention of Mental Health including Depression 

I sit in the coffee shop opposite Peter. We both have hamburgers, we both do our work. Peter looks up at me.

'Who are you?' He asks.

'Agent Carter.' 

 He asks me intrusive questions.

 SHIELD taught me to lie. I lie naturally. It's what I'm good at.

'Is this who you're replacing me with?' Pietro hisses in my ears. 

'No. I could never replace you. Peter isn't even my friend.'

'Are you sure?'

'Yes.' 

The shop morphs into grey as all eyes stare at me.

Words come out as wrangled cries. Voices in the shadows whisper "How many? How many?". A shrill laugh vibrates around the room. Multiple gunshots hit Pietro and Peter.

"You rise only to fall."

The gun falls from my hand.

It's a similar dream every night. I haven't slept in four days. The black sparks are failing to hide my tired eyes. They hurt more and more. 

...

'You know, you shouldn't really be doing homework in the car.' Happy says, watching me through the mirror. 

'Relax. It's just Spanish.' I mumble as I balance the papers on my knee. 'See, done.' I smile, shoving the work into my bag. Happy rolls his eyes. I rest my heavy head against the seatbelt, my fingers massaging my temples. 

'Hey, are you alright?' Happy says, lowering his tone. 

'Yeah, fine. It's just a headache.' I yawn. 'Probably just motion sickness or something.'

'You don't get motion sickness. Are you getting a cold? Your voice sounds scratchy.'

I can see Happy starting to panic. He doesn't like germs. 

'Maybe.' I smirk. 'I might have picked something up at school. All those teenagers. Watch out! You might get it too!' I shout, laughing. 

'Well maybe it's because you wandered around New York in the rain.' Happy frowns. 

'How did you know about that?'  

'Tony told me.'

I roll my eyes. Is nothing secret? I continue to massage my head. A cold? No. I don't get sick. I have advanced healing. 

...

'Hey Katy!' The girls scream. 'Are you coming to Alice's on Saturday for girls' night?'

'Yeah, I'm in!' I smile. We continue to chatter as we strut down the hallways, our short skirts swishing in time. 

'Are you looking forward to the school trip tomorrow?' Grace asks.

'Not really. It sounds so dull.' I drone. 

They all laugh. 

'And how's Penis Parker?' Alice purrs. 'Are you meeting him again?'

The girls giggle. I stop walking. 'Hey, we all know the only reason I met up with him on Saturday was for the project. I have barely spoken to him since.'