Chapter 8: 'Kiss Me'

When Cap sees me hurry to the elevator and jump in last minute, his eyes widen. 'Katy? What's wrong?' His voice is grave as he notices my shaking body. This isn't an act. I'm panicking for real. 

I'm about to tell him everything but before I can open my mouth, Rumlow and a couple of others enter the lift. 

'Cap, Carter.' Rumlow greets, his voice has a sharp edge, particularly when he sees me. 

'Rumlow.' Steve politely returns. 

My silence is enough to tell Steve that something isn't right. I can feel the tension despite the sizeable gaps between us and the guards. Sweat forms on my temple when more of the Strike team get in a few floors down. I become compacted between the bodies of men. It does not go unnoticed when hands tighten around guns. The hum of electricity rings inside me, warning me to be ready. Two big men walk in and block the exit. The elevator is full. 

They do not want us to get out of here alive. 

Steve is supposed to be killed here and I imagine the same was supposed to happen to me on the stairs. I'm so close to Steve I give him a small shock. His eyes dart to my hands which tighten around my daggers, but his facial expression tells me he's figured it out.

'Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?'

In a flash someone lifts up an electric baton and swings it at Cap. I lunge towards the emergency stop button. Two guards snarl at me as they raise their batons, I can feel the charge pulsing through me. There's not enough space to move and one manages to whack me in the side, but it does nothing except bruise. Idiots. They don't realise that electricity does nothing to me... which means they don't know I'm Ion Girl. I have the advantage. In their moment of surprise, I snatch the baton off them, charge it with my hands and I swing it at the heads of both attackers. I twirl the baton in my hands. I like this thing. 

In the confined space, my small size makes it easy to move around and I can take out my attackers quickly. Behind me, Cap struggles as they pin him down with electric cuffs. More attacked Cap than me - they underestimated my power - they don't know how dangerous I really am. Cap manages to pull free and swiftly takes down the remaining guards with forceful punches and kicks. Rumlow is the last one left.

'I just want you to know, this isn't personal.' Rumlow spits as he lifts out two, long metal poles. Rumlow hits me with the baton but it still does nothing. Surprise flashes on his face when I stare back at him, unshaken. Cap isn't as lucky as Rumlow jabs him in the chest. As he recovers, I hit Rumlow in the back, electricity pulsing through me. I have to be mindful not to display my colourful sparks; the attack makes them desperate to appear, having not been let out in so long. As Rumlow grunts over in pain, Steve throws his limp body into the ceiling. He falls to the floor, unconscious. 

'It kinda feels personal.' Cap exhales. 'You ok?' He asks me. 

'Yeah.' I pant. 'I could do this all day.' 

Both of us smirk but the expression drops when the elevator doors open, revealing an armed squadron of men. Before they can shoot, Cap uses his shield to cut the elevator wires. It races down with speed, making my heart jump into my mouth and then fall back into my stomach as the elevator abruptly stops. My legs shake under me and I feel like I'm going to vomit but the banging on the door brings me to my senses. 

'You have nowhere to go.' Someone shouts from the other side. They are hunting us down. 

'Someone really wants us dead.' I mutter, preparing for another fight. 

Cap looks out of the window and then back at the door. My face drains of all colour when I realise what he's planning. Before I can object, I'm being lifted up and thrown out of the window. I try not to scream as I hurtle through glass and air. Cap uses his shield to soften the blow but it still feels like falling on concrete. My legs waver as I try to stand. Cuts and scrapes line my wrists as I shake the glass from my hair.