Chapter 7: Play the Game

I thought Steve would interrogate me as soon as we arrived at the hospital but instead we stand in silence, watching as doctors operate on Fury's lifeless body. The open screen means I can see everything. Steve told me it might be best to wait outside. I firmly told him no. The doctors continue to poke and prod with sharp tools. Blood is smeared over their gloves and gowns. Their masks make them appear inhuman. Through mumbled instructions, the monitor continues to beep. It means he's still alive. It means there's still time. At some point during the beeps and commands, Natasha comes running in.

'Is he going to make it?' She asks in a hushed voice.

'I don't know.' Steve whispers. They're talking quietly for my sake but I can still hear everything. I'm perfectly aware of what's happening. The heart monitor quickens.

I wish I wasn't.

'Tell me more.' Nat's hand covers her mouth so she thinks only Steve can hear.

'He's fast, strong.' Steve mumbles back

'Had a metal arm.' I add without so much of a glance in their direction. I feel them turn towards me but my eyes are locked on Fury. 'I can hear you you know, I'm standing right next to you.'

Before Steve can say something clever, Maria marches in. She mumbles something to Steve in a hushed voice. I hear the words "Completely untraceable" but my attention is focused on the doctor who just asked for a defibrillator. My eyes widen as they shock his body. I can feel the electricity being forced into his heart. It sparks inside of me.

'Don't do this to me Nick.' I hear Nat whisper. A tear falls down her face. Steve stands firm, arms folded. Moments ago Fury was in his apartment. Now look where we are.

'Three, two, one, clear. Is there a pulse?' The doctor shouts. When the answer is no, he repeats it again. Each spark feels like a knife in my heart.

When a nail cracks between my teeth, I find I have been subconsciously chewing on them. I take them out of my mouth and inadvertently begin scratching my wrists instead. Tension lies thick in the air amidst the heavy silence. I glance over at the others. Nat is biting her lip, trying not to cry but failing. Blood stains everything in the operating room. A bag is placed over his mouth, pumping in oxygen. Blood. Masks on doctors. Surgical tools. Sparks. Blood. Sparks. Blood.

Beep ___

Beep _____

Beep _______

___________________

'Call it.'

I want to shout and scream and pound on the glass. I want to cry and tear my hair out. I want to erupt into a cascade of sparks. I want to sink into the ground and never stand up again.

My breathing shallows. A single tear falls to the floor. He's gone.

I find myself alone as the rest go to say goodbye to Fury. Maria said it would be inappropriate for me to be there so instead I was abandoned in a hallway. My leg trembles beneath me. Tears trickle down my cheek and land on my lap. I bring my hand up to my cheek to wipe them away. To my horror, it comes back stained with blood.

A bloodied handprint on my cheek. Blood on my clothes. The helicarrier. Blood on my hands. Coulson's.

'Stay with me Coulson.' I say shaking his shoulders. His blood covers me.

My hands press against the bullet holes in Fury's body. The blood pours out.

Blood on my clothes.