Chapter 9: Chasing Cars

We'll do it all

Everything

On our own

'Where did Captain America learn to steal a car?' Nat asks Steve. I have to say, I didn't realise the saintly solider could do such a thing. 

'Nazi Germany, and we're borrowing so take your feet off the dash.' He scolds Nat. She slowly slides her feet off, making me laugh. 

'You having fun back there Stark?' Nat retorts.

'I still don't understand why I have to sit in the back.' I grumble.

'Because,' Steve starts, 'you're the smallest.'

I roll my eyes. At least he stole a truck so I can actually move my feet. Still, it's nothing compared to the fancy cars Dad owns. I kick my shoes off and spread my legs across the three seats, ignoring the glare from Steve. 

My phone buzzes again and I know I can't ignore it anymore. Damn, fifteen-plus missed calls from dad. Well I'm dead. 

'Hey...' I answer awkwardly. 

'Katy? Where the hell have you been? Why aren't you answering my calls? And now you're a fugitive from SHIELD? How irresponsible...' Dad continues to rant whilst I listen, wincing at his fuming voice. 

'You still have that device?' Nat angrily yells, turning in her seat. Before I can respond, she grabs the phone from my hand.

'Hey Tony, it's Nat. Katy's fine. Don't follow us.' And then she opens the window and throws my phone out of the car. 

'What the hell?' I shout. 'Why would you do that? Dad is going to be furious!' 

'SHIELD could be tracking that phone.' Steve angrily joins in. Both adults glare daggers at me. 

'No they won't!' I shout back. 'Dad and I invented that phone. No one can hack into it and no one can track it. I know because we've tried!' I lower my voice, calming down. 'The only person who would be able to find us is Dad. It's a safety device. We made it after the whole extremis thing in case something bad was to happen. No one can find me, my identity can't be leaked, and if something was to happen, SUNDAY can send an emergency alert to dad and he'll come get me.'

'I'm sorry, I didn't realise.' Nat apologises. An awkward silence hangs in the air. I don't want to be mad at her. 

'It's fine, I was working on a new one anyway-  one dad can't track, unless I wanted him to.'

Steve laughs. 

'Don't tell him I said that.' I laugh too. 'I'm going to be grounded enough as it is.' 

We don't need 

Anything

Or anyone

'Alright I have a question for you.' Nat faces Steve, a sly smile on her face. 'Which you don't have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though you're kinda answering...'

'What?' Steve seems slightly hostile towards this new game. 

'Was that your first kiss since 1945?' Ooh interesting. Nat smiles teasingly.