Chapter 25: The Battle

I immediately rip myself away but it's too late. Dad's staring at both us, mouth open and an annoyed realisation crossing his face. 

'Hey dad... I was just em looking for my.... daggers. Yes that is what I was doing and they are... here.' I smile, cringing as I look at them. 'They're not the right ones.' I mutter, heading to my bedside cabinet. 'Here they are.' As I fasten them to my belt, Pietro smirks at my awkwardness. I notice dad's biting his lip and his muscles are tensing.  

'Maybe you should go.' I mouth to Pietro. 

'I'll see you in a minute.' He breathes, leaning in closer, but the look on dad's face makes him reconsider and he runs away. 

'Dad I am so sor-... why are you laughing?'

'Because you're so awkward. It's hilarious.' He sniggers, shaking his head. 

'Right...' I say, hurrying past for a quick getaway. His arm catches mine. 

'But seriously? Him?'

'What's wrong with him?'

'He's just so... and you're fourteen and he's what? Twenty?'

'Sixteen. Can we please talk about this later?'

'Oh we will definitely be talking about this later. And I will be having some serious words with Mr. Maximoff. As will the rest of the team.' He says folding his arms.

'No dad, please don't tell the others.' I groan.

'Fine, but only because we have a mission.'

'Thank you. Now can we please go?' I whine.

Dad sniggers. 'You were so red when- ow!'

'Shut it.' I growl, sparking him with lightning.

They asked me how I knew

my true love was true

I of course replied

something here inside cannot be denied.

When I arrive at the carrier, I feel like everyone is staring at me.

'They are.' Dad replies to my thoughts. 'The two of you aren't exactly subtle. Dishevelled hair, red cheeks, your lip balm on his lips...'

'Ok I get it.' I snap.

'Hey, you kissed him. Now prepare to suffer.' Dad teases. I send him a dirty look. 'Hey, your boyfriend is staring at you.'

'He's not my-' I carefully glance across dad's shoulder. He was right. Pietro is staring at me. And so is Wanda. They keep glancing and snickering. I pretend I don't care but I can feel anger boiling inside. As he jogs over in my direction, I pretend to be doing literally anything else.

'Hey Katy, I wanted to ask you something.' He says smoothly.

I look up, harsher than I would have liked. Keep it cool you idiot.

'I overheard you saying that you didn't have any plans tomorrow night,' his eyes are glistening silver. '...and so I was wondering if I could take you out.'

My cheeks blush scarlet. 'Like a date?' I stutter, wiping my sweaty hands on my suit.

'Yes, if that's ok?'