Chapter 12: We're a Team

My two attackers approach swiftly. I keep very still. Before they can shoot, I jump out and strike both of them with my daggers. But their armour is thick. I have to go between the two, punching and kicking, dancing my way through, until I'm able to stab one in the arm. He jumps back in pain, holding his arm tightly. I grab his other arm and throw him off the bridge. His body hits the concrete with an audible crack. 

The second doesn't give in so easily. I take a few steps back and whip out the electric baton. Once again, I charge it with my lightning and it becomes a conductor of purple electricity. A beautiful but lethal weapon. I smirk. The Hydra guard doesn't stand much of a chance and he knows it. A whack to the abdomen then face and he's out cold.

I run to the edge of the bridge. I can feel bruises forming on my side and I definitely cracked a rib when I fell out of the car. Sam is acting as sniper and I can see Nat shooting at the Winter Soldier- his mask has disappeared and he is now pursuing her. Steve is constantly being fired at. None of the Hydra team show any mercy. I watch carefully from the bridge, seeing who needs my help.  

Bullets soar past my arm. I turn around to see armed men approaching from both sides. The only way is down. Without hesitation, I jump. As I fall, I turn the electric baton into a lightning rod. It loops round the bridge and I swing safely to the ground. To civilians, it looks like a modified weapon; to me, a genius plan. I don't have time to admire my quick thinking because the firing from above begins again. I run in a zig zag pattern, the familiar pulse within pushing me forward. All my senses are drowned out by constant shooting. I duck to avoid an exploding car. Smoke clouds my vision but I keep sprinting, searching for Nat and Steve as I run. As the smoke clears, I realise I've been forced into an area with civilians. I can't stop. I can't turn back.

'Get out of the way!' I scream at them. I start running in a straight line, putting a bigger target on my back. Most of them follow my orders and flee from the area. A few watch, frozen with fear. I have to push one out of the way. The shooting continues. All of a sudden, crippling pain seers through my chest. My legs give out and my body collapses to the floor. Coughing, gasping for air, I shuffle along the ground, trying to shield myself behind a van. I put my hand to my chest, now starting to stain with blood. I take a few shaky breaths, trying to calm down and distract myself from the pain. I hesitantly peel back my jacket. It doesn't look too bad... 

The distant sound of metal against metal increases. The van I hide behind shakes. I poke my head around, looking to see what's happening. Steve just threw his shield at the metal armed man and missed. Nat stands opposite me, holding a gun. The target keeps moving, she can't get a clear shot. Steve and the soldier attack each other, throwing punches that are met with equal force. The Winter Soldier is strong, deadly. He goes at Cap with a sharp knife, slashing with ferocity. I want to get up and help, match his knife with my daggers, even fry his brain with my lightning. But I can't move. My energy slowly drains, focused on healing the bullet hole in my chest. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Steve's body smashes against the van I hide behind. I can't stay here much longer. The Winter Solider continues to punch and slash until Cap manages to grab a hold and rip his mask off. 

The assassin's face is exposed. 

Long, dark hair flows in the breeze, his brown-grey eyes stare directly into Steve's. Steve stands frozen, his face full of longing and remorse.

'Bucky?' 

Bucky? I know that name. 

The Winter Soldier stares back. 'Who the hell's Bucky?'

In their confusion, Sam flies from above and kicks him out of the way, Nat fires a flame thrower at the Winter Soldier but, when the smoke clears, he's gone.