Chapter 3: The Mission

After Nat dropped us off at the rendezvous, everything happened really quickly and it wasn't long before I found myself dressed in my new mission uniform...

I will admit, this suit makes me feel very spy like. It's similar to my New York uniform- all black- but this uniform fits better. A black top, leggings and black boots. The only colour is two blue stripe down the right hand side, lined with silver stitching. It's pretty cool and I take a minute to admire myself in the mirror, which I think I deserve considering I've been dressed in the same boring interning uniform for the last month. Nat comes into my dressing room and gives me a small nod.

'Looking good Agent Carter.' She smiles and hands me a belt with all the accompanying decor.

I tighten it around my waist, attaching my two daggers neatly at the side. Finally I put on the leather jacket. 'Perfect.' I nod to myself in the mirror.

I follow Nat to the helicarrier, head held high. I want to prove to the other team members that I deserve to be here. That I'm meant to be here. No smiling, I think, climbing in with the rest of the SWAT team. Steve's already there, dressed in a darker version of the Captain America suit. I give him a small nod and stand firmly next to Nat. Everyone looks incredibly serious as we begin to take off into the night sky. For most of the trip it's fairly quiet; then we start going over the plan. I listen closely, knowing I have my own separate mission. But as far as everyone else is concerned, I'm to follow Nat. And that's all they get to know.

We are now somewhere over the Indian Ocean. Rumlow, leader of the Strike team, lists the details: SHIELD ship attacked by pirates, they've taken hostages and, as always, the pirates are demanding money in exchange for their lives. Nothing he says is new to me, all of it was explained by Fury in the folder Nat gave me yesterday.

'You know, I'm getting tired of being Fury's janitor.' Steve mumbles, unhappy with the mission brief. 

'Relax, it's not that complicated.' Nat replies.

'How many pirates?' I ask, keeping my voice strong so I sound confident and focused. Just like a Stark. Not that any of the team know that. Just Nat and the Captain.

'Twenty five.' Rumlow replies, his voice deep. His stern expression scares me but I won't show that.

Steve begins ordering people to different positions. I listen carefully but I know where I'm to go. I just have to follow along with the Captain's plan and then ignore it. Also something my dad would do.

As we prepare for the mission, Nat engages in friendly chatter. 

'So you doing anything fun on Saturday night?' She asks Steve. Her calm nature makes me less nervous, probably because she's done this millions of times before and knows what she's doing. I prefer to keep quiet and focus on my breathing. I have my own mission. I'm finishing what I started nine months ago. I'm defying orders. But, with a bit of luck, I'll be home by the weekend.

'Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead so no not really.' Steve replies humorously.

'Coming up on the drop zone.' Someone relays. I prepare my parachute for the jump. The door to the back of the helicarrier begins to open, making the plane shake in the turbelence. The sky is black, shielding us from being seen by anyone on the boat. Jumping out of a plane will be a first for me and I do feel a bit anxious. Plummeting to my death doesn't sound that enticing.

'You know if you asked Kristen out from statistics she'd probably say yes.' Nat suggests to Steve. She flashes me a mischievous grin.

I smile back. This has been a goal between me and Nat, setting up Cap.