Chapter 13: I'm With You

After nine months of sneaking around, this is how it ends...

We're about to take down SHIELD. Am I nervous? Yes. Do I think it's the right thing? Absolutely. 

Hill salvaged a uniform for me, I think Fury had something to do with it. The familiar black suit has been upgraded. The blue is exchanged for purple and there's a slot for my two daggers. It fits better, it looks better and it captures my personality perfectly. A thin black mask slips across my eyes, concealing my identity.

As we walk, hidden by the forest, I go over the plan in my head. Step by step, word by word. Complete the mission. Don't die.

It isn't long before the Triskelion comes into view. The high structured building with its carefully crafted walls seems daunting. I suddenly feel very small. Next to me, Sam stops.

'How do we do this?' He asks, his voice low. 

'As a team.' I smile, repeating those famous words from New York. Whatever happens next, we'll do together.

Nat leaves us to begin her part of the plan. I will join her soon. It isn't difficult to sneak into the base, I barely lay my hands on anyone. When we reach the communications room, I knock politely on the door. A young man opens it but his smile instantly drops. Sam holds a gun at him and sparks dance around my fingers. He raises his hands in defence.

'Excuse us.' Steve says, barging straight past. The rest of the communications team offer no resistance. I quickly hack into the speakers and take a step back.

'Attention all SHIELD agents,' Cap starts, 'this is Steve Rogers...' Steve looks at me, my eyes widen as I shake my head. This isn't the plan. 'And Agent Carter.' I mentally face palm. I am not a voice of reason. I'm a shadow, not a flame. 'You've heard a lot about us these past few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt us down. But I think it's time you know the truth.' Steve nods to me to take over. I hesitantly walk towards the speaker and take a deep breath.

'SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It has been taken over by Hydra.' A few of the coms team gasp among themselves. 'Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are Hydra as well. They almost have what they want, absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there.' I pause and take a breath. Steve gives a reassuring nod. 'If you launch those helicarriers, Hydra will be able to kill anyone who stands in their way. Unless we stop them.'

'I know we're asking a lot,' Steve continues, 'the price of freedom is high, it always has been. But it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if we're the only ones then so be it, but I'm willing to bet we're not.'

Steve ends the message. I give a quick burst of sparks, destroying the open communication. Behind me Sam stares at us, eyebrows raised.

'Did you write that down first?'

I want to laugh but the moment is ruined when Hill speaks up.

'They're initiating launch.' 

'Brilliant.' I mutter under my breath. I can already hear gunfire. Hopefully it won't hinder my next stage.

'This is where I leave you.' I say to Cap and Sam. 'Good luck.' Steve nods at me. I nod back and head for the top floor. The sound of gunfire rings closer. They'll be no escaping a fight. I call to my sparks, allowing them to dance up and down my arms, beating in time with my pulse. As I climb higher and higher, I can hear shouts and commands. They have the high ground. I have my lightning. And lightning is just as dangerous. As they storm down the stairs, one is stupid enough to put her hand on the railing. The metal is a fine conductor as lightning shoots up and through her spine. She convulses several times, the skin burning beneath her clothes. The rest begin peppering me with bullets.