Chapter 30: First Day Part 1

Part 3

All my details have been crossed referenced and checked. If there's a problem, I immediately report it to Dad. The only people who should know my real identity (aside from the Avengers) is a few council members who dad originally paid off after the collapse of SHIELD. My real identity should remain a secret at all times.

My name is Katherine Carter. I'm fifteen years old and from LA. My mother left when I was young. I live with my dad, Harold Hogan. He moves around a lot for work and, as a result, I've been homeschooled since I was seven. We recently moved to Manhattan and now live in a small flat. This is only temporary. 

All other details are to be kept the same, e.g I like Science; my birthday is January 5th. 

'Are you nervous?' Happy asks, glancing at me through the rear-view mirror. 

'For school? No.' I look out at the long line of traffic. 'Based off past experiences, this will just be another obstacle I have to suffer before the next one presents itself.'

'You never know, you might like it.'

I raise my eyebrow. 'Is that what dad told you when he said you had to drive me?'

A small smile tugs at his lips. 'And when he told me I had to pretend to be your father.'

We both laugh. I resume to silence and Happy resumes to mumbling his version of profanities at the other drivers. At the moment, Happy is the only one I feel comfortable around. Maybe it's because he's not an Avenger. Maybe it's because he's been with me since I was born. Or maybe it's because he's the only constant in my ever changing world. 

I couldn't care less about school. Besides, I'm only staying for one term. Despite what everyone might say, I'm not going to enjoy it, I'm not going to learn anything and I'm not going to make any friends. I imagine it will be tricky to find anyone with shared life experience. 

As we come closer and closer, I feel my stomach tightening, my fingers twitching and my legs trembling. Why am I so nervous? How could this possibly be worse than anything else I've been through?

Happy pulls up at the gate. I stare out of the window, watching the students clamber out of their cars. Some are half-awake, others yell at their mates. Some walk alone, others fixate on their phones. But they are all pulled into this one world like mind controlled sloths. Suddenly I feel very sick. I stare at my black jeans and white printed top. Am I wearing the right clothes? Is my skin too pale? Am I wearing enough make up or too much? Does the leather jacket look edgy? Are earrings allowed? With every question, my heart races and the black sparks begin to prick at my fingers. 

'I can come in with you if you want?' Happy offers. I look up at him, I want to say yes but something inside tells me no. You are Katherine Stark. You have fought aliens, robots and Hydra. You have lightning powers, Captain America's phone number and a telepathic connection with a psychotic God. You can handle some self-obsessed teenagers.

'Thanks, but I can do this.' I pull my backpack onto my shoulders and I hesitantly open the door. 

'Just remember, I'm responsible for making sure you're responsible.' Happy calls.

'Well,' I grin mischievously, 'I better not cause any trouble.'

The backpack bangs against my side, the straps unfamiliar against my coat. Judging eyes watch my movements, whispering 'Who is she?'. A group of boys in matching jackets laugh and high-five. A ball is thrown across my face, making my breath hitch. It's ok, you're a Stark. You can do this. The floors feel sticky under my feet. Each locker a bright colour that overpowers the dreary lights. I can sense every camera before I see them. I feel like I'm back at SHIELD. These students are Hydra agents, ready to trip me up. A locker slammed shut is the elevator door closing. A balloon popping turns into a gun firing. My finger traces the hidden scar on my left arm. I keep pushing myself forward, following the faded signs to the principle's office. I ignore the shouts and cries and instead focus on pushing the overwhelming hum of electricity to the back of my mind. I find the office I want and hurriedly shut the door behind me. The room drowns out all the double agents, all the Hail Hydras and all the bullets that threaten to rip me apart.