ღChapter Thirty-Three: Traitor Parents

Charlie leaned back, checking where the Study Hall Monitor was. The Monitor was an Instructional Assistant earning hours for their degree program and would look over those in Study Hall and enforce the quiet hour and a half. It didn't help that Study Hall was in one section of the library.

"Psst!" 

Charlie glanced over to where the Monitor was across the way. She then leaned over and tried to get Eve's attention again. 

"Pssssst!" 

When that didn't work, Charlie narrowed her eyes and sat back to look around her table. She grabbed the small eraser from the top of her pencil and chucked it over, hitting Eve square in the head. 

Eve gasped quite loudly, the Study Hall Monitor looking over in Eve's section. Eve stayed still, waiting until the Monitor wandered over to a student asking for help. She sneered at a smiling Charlie and mouthed, "What."

Checking again where the Monitor was, Charlie quickly scribbled on her notebook, tearing out the small piece and crumpled it. The paper ball was thrown over and Eve caught it. 

Eve uncrumpled the paper, frowning at what was written on it: 

Have you decided?

Glancing over at her best friend, the younger of the two girls narrowed her eyes and crumpled the paper up to place it aside. She raised her brows, being defiant and it was worth it since Charlie pouted. 

For the remaining fifteen minutes of Study Hall, Charlie was being a pest. And Eve was ready to pull her hair out (and Charlie's). 

The bell rang and the students quickly started packing up. Charlie only had her notebook and pen because she never really did anything in Study Hall except scribble for the whole hour and a half. It was easier for her to grab her things and block Eve from leaving the library. 

Eve frowned, knowing her friend was in front of her. She shoved her books and notebooks into her bookbag as she shook her head and told Charlie that she was not going to go to Sadie's. And that was final.

Charlie whined, pouting as she pleaded with Eve to reconsider. She offered to help Eve get ready and everything. 

"You forget one thing, Barry..." Eve raised a brow, placing the strap of her bookbag on her shoulder. "I'm. Not. Going. Period." 

She walked around Charlie who turned in place and followed her friend out with the rest of their classmates.

"Aw, c'mon, Evie! You have to!" 

"Um, no. No, I don't."

"---one of the only times that we can have a high school experience!"

"Don't care..." Eve's voice went up an octave, rolling her eyes.

Charlie didn't let up. Following Eve to her locker, Charlie insisted, "Well, I think you should go with Conrad."

"Again with Conrad?" Eve frowned, glancing at her friend. 

"Conrad obviously has an interest in you.  Aaaaand he's quite the hottie, too." 

Charlie pointed out, adding to the number of reasons why Eve should ask Conrad to Sadie Hawkins, that the new boy made the extra effort to find out Eve's name. 

Eve slowed in the middle of the hallway. Her brows furrowed, looking at Charlie as she wondered about that. Eve thought it was weird that Conrad would know her name the first day he arrived.