ღChapter Nine: Scared You Might Try Something On Me?

.ღ.

The cafeteria was louder than normal. Or maybe it was just always like this and Eve never noticed because she could care less about the noise any other day. But today... today she'd be having lunch with Garrett. Alone. Eve was just finding anything as a distraction like the amplified noise coming from every direction of the lunch room.

As she was standing in line in between Garrett and the lovebirds aka Greg and Bea, Eve tried to look past the canoodlers to see the menu for today.

Thanks to wealthy families like the McNeills and Barrys donating a large sum of money to the school each year, it provided a brand spanking new cafeteria that looked nothing like a cafeteria. Instead it was a food court. There were two large lines coming from each side of the room and met in the middle with four registers. All each student had to do was swipe their ID cards to pay for their meal.

And it was always the same price. Nothing less, nothing more.

When Eve first entered high school last year, she'd admit she was in awe of the new expensive-looking cafeteria. There was everything from Chinese food to Greek; Subway was even found somewhere down the line. 

There was even the more "fancy" gourmet meals with prime rib and some food with French names Eve didn't ever bother attempting to pronounce.It just wasn't worth the headache. Plus, Eve found the "fancy" meals to be completely ridiculous for a student to have at school anyway.

Leaning her head from side to side around Bea and Greg giggling and whispering to one another, Eve found it impossible to look at what they had to eat today. Even when she was able to get a good spot to look over once Bea and her boy toy had stepped aside, Eve still couldn't see. Because she was short. And being short caused her to strain her neck multiple times during her day.

But luckily, someone behind her had taken notice of this.

"It's ill-advised to have Panda today, Prince. That orange chicken looks questionable."

Eve turned to look up at Garrett as he was still looking over everyone's head with a scrunched nose. He looked down at her and raised a brow, "Unless orange chicken is supposed to be green?"

Eve smiled, scrunching her nose in disgust, "Ew."

Garrett nodded, "Ew is right! So how bout we get some... hm..." He was looking over everyone again. He squinted at the menu.

The sophomore patiently waited with her arms crossed, just looking up at him. 

Eve hadn't noticed before that Garrett didn't look like a teenager anymore despite him only being eighteen. He had a little bit of stubble on his chin and his dark blue buttoned down shirt left the top two buttons undone showing the dust of chest hair growing.

Nope. Garrett certainly didn't look like a teenager anymore.

But the more Eve was looking at him, the more she was becoming nervous to eat with him. Perhaps she secretly (even to herself) had been holding a crush on Garrett for years and only till now that he was talking more to her and flirting with her did it finally come through. But Eve wasn't sure.

"How bout a burger? You eat burgers, don't you?"

Bringing herself out of her thoughts, Eve scoffed, "That a serious question? Who doesn't eat burgers?"

Garrett grinned, shrugging a shoulder. "Well let's see... Marina, Charlie, sometimes Bea, and about half of the female student body in our school. So I can only assume you too have fallen victim too. That saves us guys bukoos on dates, by the way."