ღChapter Thirty-Four: Eve, Will You...

Eve looked over her shoulder at the lunch line where Aaron was bouncing from one leg to the other. He'd turn his head to look over at her and wave excitedly twice already. He just did it again. Eve narrowed her eyes, turning back to her lunch.

Today was spaghetti and meatballs. Only the spaghetti looked dry and the meatballs were not meat but some tough rubbery-chewy substitute. Eve was convinced the lunch ladies were trying to kill them.

What happened to the delightful paid-for buffet the private school had last year? Lack of funding?

Scowling at her lunch tray, Eve used her plastic fork to push the stiff noodles from one side of her plate to the other. 

It was Wednesday, and Aaron had been out of school with the flu the passed few days. He'd come back today, and word was from a giggling Charlie and Bea that he was planning on asking Eve to Sadie Hawkins.

Not that Eve had to worry. She could say no to Aaron. He was the exception.

But Eve really didn't like dressing up to go to some gymnasium where students getting frisky with one another. 

Eve's eyes widened, startled when Charlie slammed her tray onto the table. She gave her friend an annoyed look though Charlie wasn't paying attention. Bea had been less careless and actually placed her tray down normal. She sat down, her blonde curls bouncing as scooted in closer to the table.

Bea raised her brows, grinning at Eve. "Has he asked you yet?"

Eve rolled her eyes, grumbling, "No. And let's hope it stays that way." She was pushing her stiff food around again. 

Charlie cheerfully proclaimed, "Well, Gabe said yes!"

Eve frowned while Bea smiled. 

Charlie flipped her braid over her shoulder and raised a shoulder, beaming, "And I knew he would too! I think that was his way of telling me that he really likes me." She raised her brows, smiling smugly at her friends. 

Eve squinted her eyes at Charlie. She said nothing.

Obviously Charlie was really excited that she was going to Sadies with one of the most popular boys at school. One of the McNeill boys to be exact.

Charlie had already bought her dress late Monday evening after she sprinted out of Eve's car and barged into her house afterschool. With her arms up in the air, Charlie proudly announced that she needed a dress because she was going to Sadies with Gabriel McNeill. 

Her father raised a brow as he stopped lifting his cup of juice to his mouth and questioned, "McNeill? As in... Ashton McNeill?"

Charlie leaned her chin on top of her hands that were perched on the chair in front of her.

"That'd be the one, daddy."

Her father took a deep breath and shrugged, "Well, alright then. Just as long as I'm not paying for anything then I guess that'll be alright." 

He sipped his juice leaving Charlie to bounce excitedly to her mother and begging to go buy a dress.

"Please, please, please, please! Pleeeeeaaasse, can we go?"

Charlie widened her eyes, clasping her hands to her chest. Her mother gave a small smirk, glancing at her husband. He was narrowing his eyes and shook his head pointing at the two females as he warned, "But no short dresses! That's all I ask."