ღChapter Twenty-Two: A Death Sentence

Charlie was walking backwards in front of Eve, holding her books to her chest and clasping her hands together, pleading desperately, "Please, Eve! Please, be nice today!"

Eve could see just how serious her friend was about this and could also see just how much Eve was going to have to fight her impulses. She rolled her eyes and shook her head. She didn't want to agree to this. It was too difficult to hold back. Eve didn't think she'd be able to.

"Ugh. I can't, Charlie, okay? Do you know how difficult it is just for me to be around all these morons?" Eve asked, spreading out her arms and almost whacking Bea in the face. Eve turned her head to the side, scrunching her nose. "My bad, Bea."

Bea smiled, patting her friend on her shoulder, accepting the apology. She was about to say something but by that time, Eve had already turned around to face Charlie again­ to argue, "I can't!"

Charlie groaned, shaking her clasped hands. "I'm begging you! Please be nice! I can't have you ruining this for me!"

This was not really a surprising thing for Charlie to do with Eve. She usually had to beg her friend this way in public in order for Eve to be embarrassed enough with many people looking at them, to agree to whatever the beggar was asking. And so far, Charlie wasn't doing a great job.

The girls stopped right in front of the steps leading up to the entrance of the school. Eve frowned, placing her hands on her hips. She tilted her head to the side giving Charlie a frown.

The older girl sighed, dropping her hands to her sides and rolled her head back. Bea glanced from Charlie to Eve and back. She didn't like standing around whenever her friends bickered over something. Usually it was over Gabriel, but Bea disliked it nonetheless.

So, as she always did, Bea made her leave. She piped up with a bright smile, "I'm going to head to my locker, now. I have to put some of these books into it. Otherwise I'm carrying a large load the whole day."

She hoisted her purple backpack with ironed on flower patches between her arms to show that she actually did have a heavy-looking backpack. When Eve's brown eyes stayed glued to Charlie, Bea looked at the auburn haired girl. 

Charlie turned to her, sulking, and nodded. "Okay, Bea. Just meet us at my locker, kay?"

Bea nodded, eagerly and quickly turned her body away from the girls, running up the steps. She grabbed the door handle before a tall boy could and threw it open, almost smacking the boy. She tossed him a quick apologetic look before jumping into the hallway, out of sight and ear shot of her friends.

Charlie had managed to turn around and watch Bea make her escape then shook her head slowly. She knew Bea didn't like confrontation. That was a given. 

Charlie was brought back to her other friend when she heard, "So what exactly is it that I'm ruining for you?"

She whipped her head back around, raising her brows. Seeing Eve's arms now crossed over her chest, meant that Charlie was going to have to step up her game. Because Eve crossing her arms led to a "stubborn lockdown".

Charlie sighed, shrugging a shoulder. She flipped her hair off her shoulder, only to reach back and pull forward a strand. She was twirling the end of it around her pointer finger as she looked at Eve, delicately replying, "It's just that... With Marina out of the way now, I have a chance with Gabriel. And he's already kissed me once which I can only assume that he likes me. Otherwise why would he?"