ღChapter Forty-One: Odd

Charlie raised her brows as she slammed the locker shut.

"Wow! A baby?"

Eve smiled widely, nodding and turned to walk with Charlie to English. She had just finished explaining about the news she was given yesterday and now Charlie was jumping up and down. She smiled, clapping her hands together.

"That's so cute! And maybe your mom will marry Daniel! How romantic!"

The younger girl narrowed her eyes, watching Charlie's jumping again.

"Speaking of romantic..." Charlie grinned. She glanced at Eve and wiggled her brows. "How's Garrett?"

Eve frowned, "Garrett? What do you mean?"

Charlie's smile faded and tilted her head. She pouted asking Eve if she and Garrett were still together.

The other girl raised her brows, grinning and leaned her head forward.

"Together? Um, sorry, you have the wrong number, please hang up and try again." Eve shook her head, rolling her eyes as she turned the corner of the hall leading to their class.

"But... but Greg said Garrett asked you out!"

Eve nodded, "He did." She looked over a flyer about a fundraiser on the wall as she passed by and mumbled, "Just because we've hung out a few times, doesn't make him my boyfriend."

Charlie grabbed hold of Eve's sleeve, tugging her to a halt. She stared at her friend before scrunching her nose and then pinched her.

Eve squeaked and slapped at Charlie's hand. She frown at her friend, rubbing the sore spot.

"What? What'd I say?"

Crossing her arms and looking stunned, Charlie shook her head, "You were asked to become the girlfriend of Garrett McNeill... and you turned him down?"

Eve raised a brow, scrunching her nose. She never said that.

Garrett and Eve only hung out about three times in the last month. With Garrett's schedule with ASB and Eve's in-between seasons for soccer conditioning, that didn't give them a lot of opportunities to see one another. That didn't mean anything anyway.

Eve knew Charlie was going to make a big deal about this which was why she hadn't told her. Sure, Eve thought Garrett was very attractive, no doubt, but the older boy was her friend. He was becoming a good friend who Eve could have intelligent conversations with. But that didn't mean there was anything more between her and Garrett.

Charlie sulked, her mouth dropping. "Eve!"

She shook her head, throwing her manicured hands up in the air.

"How could you do that to him? How could you just say no! You could be walking around here as one of the most popular girls in school!"

Eve stayed quiet while her friend went on for the next two minutes about Eve's fatal social circle decision. Eve tilted her head to the side, rolling her eyes. She glanced around, tuning Charlie out and instead watched Leslie Carmichael eating peanuts she was pulling from her locker. Ew.

After a moment, Eve groaned and shook her head. She turned to shout at her friend, "CHARLIE!"

Once her friend fell quiet, Eve sighed. She told Charlie that Garrett called her to ask her to hang out, that was it, and that sometimes Garrett had stayed for dinner a few times at Eve's place, but it was nothing serious. And that the Senior knew that.