11. Ransom

It's short, the way this chapter is supposed to be; It's almost ending! I think there's like 5-7 chapters yet, depending :) But it is a short story after all :) x 
Vote, Fan, Comment

x, Hilda

********************** 

11. Ransom

Noah’s POV

I don’t know what possessed me to punch a wall. Or maybe I did know.

Maybe it was the fact that I woke up in the dead of night, sweating and needing to talk to Blake. Maybe it was the fact that after I left school, Blake’s car was still in the school parking lot when I knew she’d never leave it there. Maybe it was the fact that I had a gut feeling that something bad was happening to her…but I didn’t have the guts to knock on her door until twelve forty eight A.M. in the morning, only to find out my suspicions were correct.

My suspicions that something bad was happening to Blake, that she was somewhere—hurt, or worst.

“Noah, are you okay sweetie?” asked Blake’s Aunt as I looked up to meet her eyes. She knew I wasn’t but the tension in the room was so thick I could swear I was breathing it instead of air. I just hit the wall next to the policeman’s head after he refused to hand out ‘top secret’ information they had on the Deveraux family.

“No.” I answered sternly. “No, I’m not okay.”

“It’s barely been twenty-four hours, Noah. She could just be letting off some steam.” Her aunt seemed as if she were trying to convince herself that. Asking me if I was alright also seemed like a way for her to just distract herself and I knew it.

“What do you know, Ms. Norton?” I ask quietly, watching her every move.

She was fidgety, alarmed and couldn’t sit straight. She kept on brushing her hair with her fingers, glancing through the windows and checking her mobile phone. A part of me knew, just because I was completely pissed off at the world…I knew she was more worried for Blake then I was, it was—after all, her only family left. But she’d been saying the same thing—asking me the same questions and muttering that Blake was alright that I knew something just wasn’t adding up. I wasn’t seeing the bigger picture.

I was about to ask her another question when the phone rang and Ms. Norton’s shaky hands were the one to take it, pressing the green button to accept. “H-hello?” She stuttered. A few moments of silence came before tears began to stream down Ms. Norton’s face, her eyes flashed with pain and she was shaking her head in disbelief. “N-no, I’ll d-do a-anything j-just p-p-please d-don’t h-hurt h-h-her.” She pleaded.

Then I knew, I was right. Blake was in trouble.

Standing up, I took the phone from her hands and she did nothing to take It back. she seemed completely shaken up so I allowed her to fall to the ground and cry to herself whilst I took over things for a while. “Hello?” I said, using all the confidence I had and putting it in my voice.

“Who’s this?” asked a gruff, male voice.

“Noah Hunt, a family friend. Where’s Blake?”

“Little Miss is fine as long as she spills her guts on where our money is.” The gruff voice said tauntingly.

I couldn’t help but clench both my fists. What could I do? Nothing. “What do you mean? How much do you want?”