4. Arrival *EDITED*

Chapter Four

Noah

“See you.” I smiled at Blake as she left, with an eye roll that I’m sure she didn’t mean for me to see. My parents both shared knowing smiles and I would have hit myself at the look behind it. “I’m just being friendly.”

Both mom and dad raised their brows as if they were both asking; Oh really?

This time, it was my turn to roll my eyes. “We’re just friends.”

“We didn’t say anything.” Mom smirked.

Damn those smirks.

The telephone was ringing when we went inside and Libby, being the little sweetheart she is, answered it with a ‘Hello my name is Libby’. Mom snatched the phone away from her, handing it to my father and reprimanding Libby for ‘being too friendly to strangers’.

“Hello, Hunt Residence.” My father answered in his business-like tone. His features softened and a dimpled smile began to make its way to his face. “Yes, he’s here.”

I took the phone from him as he offered it to me, “Noah speaking.”

“Guess who misses you and is coming to Stonebrook in less than twelve hours!”

A smile lit up my features. The voice was all too familiar, reminding me of normalcy. Of going to the park and playing Knights and Princess’ as children. Of my first kiss. My first girlfriend. My best friend. “Sal?”

“You know it baby!”

“Sally, hell, it’s been so long!”

I heard her grin from the other end of the line. “Too long, I know. But as I said, I’m coming home to make up for it.”

“You’re coming to Stonebrook?”

“More like being released from Boarding School! Daddy’s allowing me to move to high school!” she shouted excitedly. I pulled the phone out of my ear. “I can’t wait to see you, No! I’ve seen the pictures but I have yet to touch the package!”

I could almost picture her winking. I smirked to myself, leaning onto my wall. “Sal, are you only coming home for the fifteen minutes of fame?” I teased.

A part of me wasn’t sure whether I was simply teasing or I actually thought that. About Sally of all people.

She sighed. “You couldn’t possibly be thinking about that of me. Of all people, Noah Harrison Hunt.” she said. Her tone was tired but at the same times scolding.

Taking a deep breath, I finally formed my words. “I don’t think anything of you, Sals. Actually, I’m excited to see you. There’s someone I’d like you to meet.”

A breath was cut off at the other end of the line and for a moment, I wondered at my own words. Who did I want Sally to meet? Blake? Of all people?

Finally, Sally answered. “Okay…well, I’ll see you in less than twelve hours. I’ll be there in time for high school.”

I smiled. “Kay, Sals. Can’t wait to see you.”

“Bye No…I l—miss you, I missed you a lot.”

For a second I thought Sally would tell me she loved me.

“I missed you too, Sal.”

×××

In the cafeteria, Blake Deveraux sat by herself at the seat furthest away from everyone by herself. She’d piled her burgundy hair up into a ponytail and strands of it were catching light, looking redder than it was. The whole morning, I did everything to catch her attention since I woke up remembering the night before.