I still have a chance of winning this. He thought, grinning.

"Haha... Hahahahaha!!"

He continued to laugh just like that as if he was a madman. Despite not knowing the result of the battle that yet, he rejoiced as if his victory was already guaranteed.

From there, the stage changes into a ghostly prison.

For some reason, it gave off quite of a shady impression in the perspective of the man that was assigned to keep an eye of the woman in the cell.

It was skeptical to think that there were no guards other than him to watch over that place. But ignoring this fact, he optimistically thought that this made the difficulty of his job a lot easier.

All that mattered to him was to complete his task or he'd be done for. From this point, the identity of whoever his master was became very obvious.

At first, he normally went to act like he was doing his job properly. But after several minutes have passed, he began to take action without taking a proper look of the other person's demeanor.

"Miss, please kindly use this.", the man whispered, sneakily lending a key to the red-haired woman behind the prison bars.

Initiating his actions so openly would only raise the chance of the plan to fail. And only a fool would brazenly do something like that.

Even if he wanted to rush things out, he still needed to be more careful. His fate was already decided in case he failed after all. Naturally, he wouldn't like that kind of aftermath to occur to him. Therefore, he proceeded with a sense of cautiousness.

The woman gently took the key and unfastened the lock with care. Then without further ado, she opened the door and took a step forward. However, she paused amid the escape.

Ignoring her strange movements, the man that was dressed in a guard's outfit finally exposed his true objective and charged toward the her with his spear.

But just when the man thought that he finished his job at last, an unexpected turns of events has welcomed him.

Before he knew it, what he pierced through was a wig, identical to the hair that his target possessed.

And in the last minute of his consciousness, he saw a man wearing feminine clothes right next to him, hitting the back of his neck.

There, he fainted and fell down the cold floor, meanwhile the other guy inserted his thumb and index finger in his mouth and made a loud whistle.

Soon, a certain amount of people has entered the scene, including the real Fleurette and Duke Shevaria.

"Is this enough?", the man that acted as Fleurette, questioned.

"Of course.", replied, the Duchess.

Then looking at Wendell while exchanging a nod with him as a signal, she said.

"Let's proceed with the plan."

Wendell's stare remained its focus on Fleurette. Afterward, a moment of their discussion before all of these started, began to replay in his mind.

The words that she uttered with sincerity that time helplessly lured him to be a part of this revenge.

Despite being triggered by her confession which made him loathe her even more, he showed his generosity by allowing her to have a chance to explain herself through his silence.

"If it is about both of your dearest ones' death, I am to be blamed of it all and I admit that."

"I can bear this sin and obediently prove myself guilty. I won't bother asking you for forgiveness either. And if you want, you may send me to the court as well. But-"

"If you want to avenge their death, then I am not the right person you should leash out that anger on."

While saying those statements without averting her gaze from the Duke's doubtful yet conflicted expression, she continued.

"I suppose, you won't believe my words so easily for the moment. However, your suspicions can be answered very soon as long as you cooperate with me. That is why-"

"I ask you lend me your power, Duke."

There, the flashback meets its ending with Wendell being tempted by the offer as if he was bewitched.

Nevertheless, his doubt has yet to subside even after the first action they took could be called a success. He refuted to be convinced that easily, specially because he was teaming up with the person that murdered the people he cherished. For that, he even prepared himself in case this was a mere facade to gain his trust and make him fall into a trap at the very end.

It could frankly be natural for Wendell to be wary of Fleurette because she was a cunning woman, capable of good schemes or strategies.

But even then, he set his foot on this place for a purpose.

"For 'their' sake, I might as well take a bet on this...", he whispered.

Wendell- if this man ever realizes the mistake that he has committed to the one that he was supposed to treasure like he did to his beloved and daughter... How he would react is quite predictable.......

And his reaction would no longer be of use to the girl that decided to face her back on his direction.