Chapter 96

Chapter 96: A Doubtful Fidelity

Time flew fast, and now I'm here, preparing to savor the dinner that Viola served with care, on top of the table.

I was sort of in a good mood this evening, also because nothing to be called misfortunate happened today. I haven't heard of any news about Duke Wendell that'd seem to involve me either.

It felt like I was finally given of a time to take a rest from all of the heavily-weighed events that I've encountered so far. Thus, I enjoyed it while forgetting all of my worries temporarily, including the other bad things. I have been more than aware that it wouldn't last long, after all.

That's what I thought, but... It was then that I noticed that tonight's dinner was steak. But what caught my attention wasn't the food, itself, but one of the utensils by the side of the plate.

I found myself intrigued at the sight of the steak knife arranged down there. I was oddly drawn by its appearance all for a single reason that I recalled of not too long after.

Right. Come to think of it...

"...knife......", I whispered.

"Pardon?", Viola questioned out of pure curiosity, being unaware of the next words that'd come out of my lips, which would pressure her down in no doubt.

Even after knowing that fact, I couldn't stop my will to ask about the matter. For as long as she came to learn of something she shouldn't actually be conscious about, there was still the risk of her spreading her knowledge to others, regardless of her reserved personality or attitude.

"The other day, you've seen the knife under the pillow of my bed, haven't you?"

The handmaiden immediately flinched the moment I finished my sentence. Even if she hadn't reacted that obviously, it would've only been a matter of time for a person of my position to realize that she was the culprit that caused the knife that I kept with me to suddenly disappear.

Only a maid can do something like that since they frequent on different rooms to keep the mansion neat and clean, day by day. Not to mention, Viola was obligated to tidy up my room often because she's been appointed to be my personal attendant. So, she'd be more or less responsible to keep my bed orderly, every morning too.

Moreover, she couldn't even have the chance to hide the evidence that she took the knife when I tried to check it out after coming back to my room, that day. Hence, Viola was irrefutably guilty in this case.

"Answer me. After that, where did you put it?", I straightforwardly confronted her, showing no exceptions.

"... I sneaked into the kitchen and placed it back to where it was supposed to be."

"Did anyone see you?"

"No... I don't think so."

"You can't be too certain about that, can you? You should've just told the chef directly that you borrowed it because of an emergency, and I could've backed you up with that too."

"That's... I couldn't think straight, so... I'm sorry, lady Melissa."

I made a long sigh because of the rash course of action that Viola chose to do, that day. Things could've ended up into a disaster if ever anyone witnessed what she's done. Which was why, I needed to be strict to her at all cost. But the main problem here was...

"You didn't mention this to anyone, did you?"

"O-Of course, milady!"

Now, I've let out a sigh of relief at the thought that she hasn't failed me in that component. At least, she was worth the praise to have made a wise decision there even without asking for my consent.

"I'll be sure to pay you a good amount, so I ask you to keep your mouth shut about this incident-"

"A-About that...!!", stuttering at the beginning of her phrase, she continued as I paid attention to her.

"...cept the money......"

"What?", I questioned, being unable to catch the words that she uttered to me.

"From now on...... I would like to not accept any money from milady..."

My eyebrows twitched as soon as the statement reached my ears. I had never expected that there'd be a day where that Viola would speak up something like that on her own volition.

No- I already knew that something like this could occur. And that'd be when she found herself a more valuable resource when it came to the amount that she's been bribed with. Well, of course that'd happen, since she's also been aware that my allowance from the Duke has been cut off along with my ties with the Shevarias.

Not to mention, I only gave her two to four gold coins every time I bribed her. I know that that amount barely has any value in a normal, wealthy noble's pocket, but to think about it carefully, a gold coin has the value of a hundred silver coins, more than enough for people of lower standing to consider it valuable.

That was another one of the good points in Viola, since she came from a family of common birth that climbed into the noble society within their own generation, which was what they referred as nouveau riche.

But, seems like this was the end line of my bribery.

"You must've gotten yourself someone of greater affluence.", I said while smiling frustratingly, trying to be sarcastic.

It was highly possible that she was brought by the my filthy-rich, asshole of a father. If ever there would be a reason for this movement, the cause would either be my connection with the Emperor or something that has to do with the quarrel between the two of us last time. Or perhaps, it could be to keep an eye on me for some sort of plan that I have yet to know.

"I swear, it has nothing to do with that! It's just..."

"It's just what?"

It took a while before she could thoroughly confess her thoughts with honesty.

"Even without accepting anything valuable from milady, I will still keep fulfilling all of her requests."

"Hah..."

How laughable and explicitly irresolute.

There's no guarantee that she'd truly be someone I could trust and tame without profitable conditions. That's just how living creatures like humans do. They're all nothing more than wild beasts that you tried to keep as loveable pets in an instance, but a single wrong move could trigger them to betray your expectations.

Pledging loyalty like this to me in such an abrupt manner... Perhaps, this could also be another trick and the situation that we went into just so happened to be quite convenient for her to do this.

I am aware that suspecting Viola too deeply could be defined exaggerated. But somehow, trusting others...

It's too difficult now.

"Get out. I'm losing my appetite with you around."

"......Understood, milady."

The maid obediently followed my command and went to exit herself through the door. But before she could grasp the doorknob and open it, I called out to her for one last warning.

"Viola. If you ever tell anyone what you've known so far-"

"The knife that was supposed to be used to stab my chest... it might end up slipping through someone else's. You understand that, don't you?", I gazed at her direction without the intention of hiding the bloodlust that could be seen in my eyes.

"Of course. Lady Melissa.", she answered, showing no sign of wavering at my threat.

There, she excused herself from the range of my sight, and silently went out of the room.

Forcing myself to act like nothing happened, I ate my dinner while enjoying the taste of the food. And rejoiced its quality and wholesome flavor. Yet somehow, I could distinguish the bitterness that was mixed to my palate.

I thought of it a bit strange.