Chapter 48

Chapter 48: A Tiny Joy

"Do you even have an evidence that the servants were the one that did it?"

I flinched.

Although, I knew that the maids were definitely the ones behind this, the only thing that I could reply back to the Duke as a proof were only the traces left on my clothes. However, that enough, wouldn't have been sufficient.

That was because the scene could've been made in order to frame the attendants. Or perhaps, I could be considered as the one that was trying to frame them.

It's true that I've made a mistake for not being able to bring one of the clothes that lied on the scene since that could've certainly been a proof that was good enough to be shown to the Duke. But, who knew if this was just my scheme, though in fact, it's not?

What I lacked was a witness. As well as a complete investigation of whomever were those that created that kind of mess.

In this case, I'd only be seen as an unreasonable person if I force the Duke to fire the servants that did mischief.

Yet, I couldn't just overlook this issue.

The maids' actions have stepped outside the bounds of the Duke and my agreement.

We talked this out from a very long time already that I'd like to stay at the mansion till I reach the age of eighteen, (where I'd get acceptable to make a living on my own when I become a commoner). I have suggested that I wouldn't ask for money from him anymore, however, I'd like to have the same treatment as I had been as the Duke's daughter while telling him that it should be his responsibility for adopting me to the Shevaria Family.

There might've been an amount of unsureness in the Duke's answer that time. But still, he undeniably approved my proposal.

Father....... have done enough for someone as lowly as me...

Right. Rather that asking for his help, I should solve this by myself.

That kind of thought has come to me, all of a sudden.

Afterward, I came to have a rightful conclusion.

I see....... I'm not his daughter anymore, right...?

I have broken my ties with him. And yet look at this pathetic sight.

I legitimately tried to cling onto Wendell, asking for help in my problems, not knowing my place.

"Haha......."

I've made a short, feigned laughter in a very low tone, so that no one would hear it.

I really wonder when I will stop being a stupid person. I thought.

I could feel myself shrinking again. However, I couldn't bear to let that continue.

Because if I did, it would've been just me, regretting over the decision that I chose for my own good.

Take a good look of reality, Melissa. There's not even a chance-

That 'father' would care about you.

As I mercilessly told myself those phrases in my mind, I recomposed myself an made a fake smile.

Then, I said,

"I'm truly sorry for taking your time with this nonsensical discussion, Duke. I'd like to take back all of the words that I spouted during our conversation."

"If you ever felt offended of what I said concerning your grace's precious attendants, I would gladly bang my forehead to the floor while I kneel before you as an apology.", I added, pleading for his forgiveness with respect.

"...What?"

The Duke's face was filled with confusion. It was a face that couldn't seem to interpret as of why the happenings have gone to this kind of situation.

I simply ignored this without any other thing in mind but to execute what I just told him and began to do it in front of the flustered-looking Aiden and the Duke that abruptly stood from his seat.

"You..."

"Lady Melissa...!"

One time... Two times.....

I continued to bang my head to the floor with a very audible sound effect.

It hurt a lot. Nevertheless, I decided to endure the pain.

I deserved this. I have committed a sin to myself.

And that sin was to expect.

Saying that this was a sign of my sincerity was a mere lie. I just wanted to punish myself this way for the mistake that I've made.

Compared to the pain that I suffered mentally, this was nothing.

Soon enough, I felt blood flowing down from my forehead.

".....Stop.", whispered, the Duke.

Because of the lingering silence except for the sound that I've been making, I was able to hear Wendell's voice clearly. But thinking that I was just mishearing things, I continued to hit my head to the floor.

"...I said stop!!"

I immediately paused. Thereafter, I felt dizzy so suddenly.

I did my best not to show it on the outside, and so I began to be in a daze, staring blankly at a part of the floor where there were bloodstains.

"What are you doing?! Call for the medic!!"

"Y-yes!!"

After noticing what the Duke ordered Aiden to do, I immediately spoke to prevent Aiden from fulfilling the command.

"There is no need to call for the medic."

Saying that, I slowly arose from my position.

Aiden quickly went to assist me first as though that was his main priority and helped me stand up properly.

"Lady Melissa..."

I was trembling. I felt like I was about to collapse in any sooner. And it seems like Aiden noticed this too while he held me.

As if I'd lose my consciousness here...

Not in front of this guy.

I thought, directly looking at Wendell.

My sight was slowly getting darker. Until before I knew it, my eyes began to shut itself bit by bit.

Surely... This sucks.

I'm sure that my body wasn't this weak before. And yet, why has it come to this, I wonder?

"Lady Melissa!!"

"Melissa!!"

I smiled.

The last thing that I saw...

Was the Duke, approaching my direction worriedly as he shouted my name.

______________________________________

*Though this might sadden others, I'd like to proceed with making two new chapter updates every week. Just as I've said last time, things have gotten busier for me irl. There are other reasons too but, I think I'd like to keep those as private matters.

*I appreciate everyone's support for my novel and I apologize for this change of schedule. I'll do my best to make this story more interesting!! "^")9

~Happy Reading, Dear Readers~❤

                                       -MishaBonnellac-