P R O L O G U E

Death is a funny thing. 

Some people would say dying is their biggest fear, something they never wish to experience. Others know to expect it, and may even welcome it with open arms. To Emma, it came as an eye opener. As soon as her husband was murdered, she decided she didn't want anything to do with the Wizarding World.

Benjy Fenwick II had been killed in the most gruesome manner while fighting the most evil creature in history. That was not the life Emma had envisioned for their daughter. Benjy had promised he would win this war for them, for his family... sadly, he was unable to. The darkness was too powerful for him to contain. Thankfully, Emma had been told it was possible for Hazel to be a squib, since she herself was one. As soon as twenty - five year old Emma held her baby in her arms, she prayed that she wouldn't get 'the gift' as Benjy's parents had called it.

Lucky for Emma, she was able to raise Hazel in the muggle world, London, with the help from Benjy's parents. They only asked that if she were to have the gift, she would be sent to a Wizarding School, be it Ilvermorny, Beauxbatons or Hogwarts, whichever one she'd like to pick. Emma had agreed, while knowing deep down that she would never be true to her word.

For the first few years of her life, Hazel's mother allowed her to be with her grandparents. They were loving and kind to her in ways that her Benjy would have loved to experience. He would always go on and on about how he'd love for his parents to have a close relationship with their child, and now, Emma was trying to give him that. They would go to the muggle world every weekend to see Hazel and take care of her whenever Emma had to work long nights. 

For Hazel's second birthday, they bought her a golden snitch mockup, which she loved playing with. Her and her grandfather used to run around with it. He adored throwing it gently towards her and watching her catch it; he would daydream a fantastic future for her as a Seeker. That same year, Emma noticed whenever Hazel would be outside in the garden, butterflies would fly around her, resting on her head or her hands as she played. She knew what that meant, but subconsciously decided to ignore it. 

When Hazel turned three, Emma invited her grandparents to lunch. All of them wore birthday hats and sang happily, watching her clap along excitedly. During the meal, they were all stunned when Hazel reached for her plastic cup and caused it to fly towards her instantly, landing on her hands. The toddler had no idea what she had done, she simply drank from the cup before staring at her grandparents with a smile as they began celebrating.

"She's a powerful one!" Her grandpa, who was also called Benjy, said cheerfully, pulling her up from her chair and resting her weight on his hip. She instantly wrapped her arms around him, making his heart bounce happily. 

Emma's mouth opened and closed, she couldn't even form a single word. This was her biggest fear, and it was all coming true, in the worst way possible.

"Oh, she's going to make her father so proud!" Her grandma stood up next to her husband, holding Hazel's hand tightly with her eyes tearful. "Our beautiful, little witch," at the sound of that nickname, Emma rose from her seat quickly and took her daughter in her arms. 

It looked as if Hazel could sense the emotions in the air had shifted, tension now filling it, making her cry loudly. "I think this is too much for her," Emma lied swiftly, rocking her child gently against her chest. Benjy and Sarah looked at each other with sadness, knowing Emma was rejecting her baby's abilities. They knew that could be an option, but they'd both hoped for Hazel to be a late bloomer, wanting Emma to have a bit more time to accept the fact that she was a witch.

"This is a good thing, Emma," Sarah spoke quietly, reaching her hand out to stroke her granddaughters back. Emma moved away slightly, not letting them touch, causing Benjy to flinch at her action.