Chapter Thirteen

I don't understand anymore. I don't understand what's happening, and why. I'm so lost and confused it makes my head ache from thinking too hard. What have I gotten myself into?
"Shh!! Don't. Breathe." Michael says as we listen to Ashton thumping around upstairs. Me, Luke, Calum, and Michael all lay on the basement floor, huddled ontop of each other in fear. I grab on to Calum, Michael grabs onto me, and Luke grabs onto Michael as we all sit in utter silence.
When me and Michael ran off we found Luke and Calum. Calum trying to stay as far away from Luke as possible, and Luke scared and not knowing what to do. We then all ran down to the basement- expect for Calum who mainly got dragged- and have been hiding from Ashton ever since.
Calum winces in pain. And you can tell right when you first look at him, that Luke indeed did let some anger out towards him. His leg has a gashing cut witch makes him incapable to walk on it. His face has multiple busies and slash marks from a knife, and his hair is messier than before. He looks the worse out of all of us. Even his ears have gashing cuts on them because of Luke's bad aim with a knife.
He sits with his back against the wall, breathing weirdly and wincing at any movement. I sit next to him rubbing his back trying to get him to stay quiet. I know, rubbing his back won't help when he has a wound on his leg, but it's not like if I rub his leg it's gonna make him feel better.
I sit behind him with multiple busies and scratches covering my body. To be honest I think me and Michael our the least damaged out of them all. I turn back to Michael to see a few visible cuts, the 5 slashes on his arm, and skin peeling off his hand from the door knob a few hours ago. But in reality he looks fine, it's his brain I'm worried about.
And then theirs Luke. His hands still stained with Calum's blood, and half of his forehead is covered by a giant bruise from the pool balls that were chucked at him. He has scrapes and starches all over him, and his shirt has a huge hole from when the knifes pinned him down to the wall. And on top of all that, his quiff is on point. But I'm worried about Luke more than anyone else, even Calum. Because mentally, Luke's been struggling with this since the beginning. And we've only completed 4 out of the 24 hours. Well, were starting our fourth. And sadly, our fourth could easily be our last.
Are team is falling apart. Calum's too wounded to move any muscle in his body, I haven't stopped shaking since Luke's bloody hand popped out of nowhere, Michael is so scared that he's been hyperventilating this whole time, and Luke has lost his mind. Oh, and Ashton's like possessed or something. God dammit Ashton's running around with a knife claiming it's just a game of freeze tag.
"Come on guys! This isn't hide and seek, ITS TAG!" We hear Ashton yell from upstairs.
Michael starts to breathe extremely fast again, it makes Luke slowly rise his hands up to hie ears. I look at Michael who's eyes out wide and glued on the door.
"Michael," I whisper, he glances at me but then back at the door. "Calm down, just take a deep breath" I whisper, I then rub his arm.
I glance over to Luke who's eyes are watery and helpless. He looks broken and sad, his face contains a look of fear. I want to give him a hug but if I move I'll make noise. And Luke looks a bit busy, covering his ears and closing his eyes. I don't think I should interrupted that.
"WERE ARE YOU?!!! COME ON, ITS JUST A GAME!" Ashton yells, I roll my eyes when he says 'just a game'.
"I'm actually gonna die," Michael mumbles.
His breathing becomes faster as his bloodshot eyes become watery.
"Shhh," I say as soothingly as possible. Then Calum winces, making me snap my head towards him again.
"Sorry," he whispers.
"It's okay," I barely choke out.
"WHERE ARE YOU!?" Ashton yells making Luke huddle up in a little ball and put his head down, still covering his ears.
Ashton won't stop searching for us until he finds us. And when he does a boy who can't move, a girl with no self defense skills, a boy who's so scared he might pass put, and then a kid who is covering there ears and mumbling things out of guilt, won't be able to fight him. But, if one of us runs around while the others hide, we could have a chance for survival. I might not have strength but I sure do have brains.
"Guys I have a plan," I whisper.
Let's just keep in mind I'm still shaking out of fear. I physically can't stop. I'm not cold, it's fear.
Anyways, nobody answers when I say I have a plan.
Shocker.
"Guys I think one of us should go up there and be bait," I state.
Michael nods no.
"Please no," He whispers.
"I'll go, come on. Think about it, if Ashton finds us down here he'll kill us all in minutes!!" I whisper yell.
"No. No your not going. Someone else can go, you can't leave me alone with these two" Calum whispers frantically.
"Wh-why not me?" Michael stutters, I look to Calum who's eyes are glassy.
"I don't trust any of you guys anymore," Calum's hoarse voice squeaks.
"But what-what did I do? Why don't you trust me I DIDNT TRY-" I then cover my hand over Michael mouth, his eyes grow wide. I don't know how to explain how sad he looks. "I'm so sorry oh my god I'm such an idiot," Michael whispers. We then all keep quiet to make sure Ashton didn't hear us.
"OH! HELLO?! COME ON ITS JUST A GAME!" Ashton yells.
I turn back to Michael who's hands are over his own mouth. I then glance over to Luke who looks isolated from us three. I feel bad for him, he's loosing everything.
"Luke?" I whisper, he doesn't look up.
I then turn around and face Calum again who tries to scoot away from the door using his arms. He really struggles with that though.
"Calum why don't you trust me...." Michael whispers slowly taking his hand off his mouth.
"B-because I'm afraid," is all he simply says in response.
"Of what?.....Of me?" Michael whispers, his lip quivers and Calum rubs his eyes.
"OKAY, BASEMNET HERE I COME!" We hear Ashton yell.
Michael squeals in a weird way and scurrys up on his feet, dashing to the back of the basement.
"Michael?" I say scared.
"No, oh my god I'm gonna die!" Calum cries.
I look towards Luke whose now rocking back and fourth and mumbling things. It's scary watching it.
"Luke help Cal-"
"No! No Luke's done enough. I can do is by myself" Calum says.
He takes his good leg and starts pushing of the ground with it. His other leg lies there lifeless, but he only moves it a few pushes until having to stop.
"I can't-I-"
"KNOCK KNOCK KNCOK!" We hear Ashton yell, Luke's still staying in his original spot as Calum tries to squirming away but can't.
I just sit there shaking.
"No, no please no!" Calum says using his arms to try and scoot away from the door.
I then turn to him as he helplessly squirms away. I finally decide get up and move towards him.
"This is gonna hurt, but whatever you do don't scream" I say quickly as I then squat down and put his arm around my shoulder, I then start to stand up. He slowly follows squinting his eyes shut, he screeches for dear life as the door swings open shining light mostly on Luke.
"THERE YOU GUYS ARE!" Ashton yells as I walk as fast as I can with Calum basically dying of pain because of the pressure on his leg.
"Stop! Stop!" Calum finally says as we then both fall backwards in the darkness.
We watch from the very back of the basement, a shadowy figure walking down the stairs.
"Luke! How are you?!" Ashton says.
Oh my god.
Luke.
"I'm fine," Luke squeaks out.
"Well! I'm guessing since your not running away...you wanna be frozen don't you?"Ashton says smiling, his knife still by his side.
Luke suddenly looks up.
"I do," Luke sates lifting his head, my eyes grow wide.
"Luke," I say I shock, I guess a little to loud though because Ashton snaps his head towards my direction.
"Adele...is that you?" I hear him say, I gulp loudly and make my whole body freeze with fear. Expect for my hands, they won't stop shaking.
Ashton starts to walk towards me and Calum. "Adele, don't be shy....come on out!" Ashton says.
His heavy footsteps become louder and louder as he approaches me and Calum. His bold figure starts to tower over us making my lip quiver.
"No! Ashton stop!" I hear Luke yell, but Ashton doesn't stop. He keeps walking towards us.
"Nice seeing your pretty face again Adele," Ashton says, he then squats down in front of me. "And Calum, lovely to see you....thank you for letting us borrow your phone" Ashton says smiling. Calum looks so scared that he could pass out. Ashton's neck then snaps and he smiles widely at me. "Adele, you said some very mean things about this house throughout you life...." Ashton's states taking his knife and examining it. I push my head back as far as I can against the wall to keep away. "You said it was ugly, hideous to look at, and you hate the front gate....don't you?" He continues cleaning off his blood that was on the knife. I just stare at it in fear. All of a sudden he points it right at my neck. "don't you?" He asks again more sternly, tears stream down my face as my soft crying turns violent.
"I'm sorry" I say, tears roll down my face and my cheeks become red.
"What's that? I couldn't hear you..." Ashton says pointing the tip of the knife into my skin, but not enough to make me bleed.
"IM SORRY!!! IM SORRY!" I say now bawling my eyes out.
I can barely breathe, my face becomes hot and my head looks up towards the ceiling as I try and not let the knife dig deeper into my neck. My tears were flying down my cheeks fast, and my chest moves up and down because of my sudden violent crying.
"What? Can you say that one more time?" Ashton repeats playfully poking my neck with the knife.
"I. AM. SORRY." I coke out sobbing as the knife makes the veins in my neck rise.
"Oh....well I guess if your sorry I should forgive you, right?" Ashton says smirking his evil smirk.
"Yes," I sob out, I close my eyes hopping the real Ashton will return right then and there. But he doesn't.
"Actually love," he starts, he then leans in close to my ear. "No," he whispers.
That's when I feel pressure on my neck as I let out my final scream. I close my eyes as my last tears fall down my face and I take my last breath before my throat gets slit open. But, right as the tip of the knife digs deep enough in my skin I feel it propel out, and the feeling of Ashton's breath on my neck disappears. I look and see Luke has tackled him to the ground, and the knife lays beside me.
"Luke?" I say.
"Stop!" I hear Ashton yell as Luke then gets thrown off him, Ashton then marches over to him and pins him to the ground roughly. "Luke, I'm ashamed, I thought you were better than this," Ashton says through gritted teeth.
"Luke!" I yell as I scramble to my feet.
"I thought you were gonna be on my side. I wouldn't of even had to hurt you" Ashton snarls, I quietly come up behind him holding the knife in my hand.
"Well then Ashton," Luke starts in between breath. "You thought wrong," he says.
I then let out a scream and take then knife towards Ashton's shin. I slice it so hard that you can hear the knife glide through his skin. I drop the knife in fear of that I hurt Ashton.
But he doesn't even flinch.
He laughs.
"Why thank you Adele," he says as his shoe becomes darker with blood pouring out of the deep gashing cut. Ashton then takes his hand and grabs the sticky knife that's by his feet. The blood remaining on it drips as he brings it over to Luke. Some of his blood drips on Luke's torn up shirt. I feel dizzy at the sight.
"What?!" Luke yells.
"No! Ashton stop!" I say as Ashton raises the knife towards Luke's face.
"Goodnight Luke," Ashton says.
I then kick Ashton's side as hard as I can. He falls to his side as Luke sits there in shock for a moment, but I quickly squat down and grab his arm.
"Come on we need to move!" I scream.
"Don't. Scream." I hear Ashton mumble, he seemed to be saying it more to himself than to us.
Me and Luke scramble to our feet and try to run. Right as I take my first step I feel something grab my ankle, making me fall.
I turn to see Ashton. He has the knife, he's about to stab me. Right as he almost does Luke kicks his head making him wince and we run to the other side of the room.
"This was supposed to be fun!" I hear Ashton yell angrily.
"Sorry to disappoint you!" Luke yells as Ashton approaches us.
"ASHTON STOP!" I hear Calum scream.
"CALUM?!" Me and Luke both spit out. Ashton then gets up on his feet. He starts to walk towards Calum's lifeless looking body.
"Why should I stop Calum?" Ashton asks, knife in hand again.
"Because if anyone should die just let it be me," Calum says panting.
"And whys that mate? Isn't this all the girls fault anyway? You wouldn't be dying if it weren't for her leading you into this house," Ashton snarls angrily. That's when I snap, I bawl my first up and let hot tears stream down my face as I walk up to Ashton.
"THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!" I scream at him, he laughs.
"Oh deary, yes it is," he chuckles.
I don't know what comes over me but it feels like a ball of anger just exploded inside of me. The feeling goes up my throat and bounces around in my stomach as I slap him across the face. But Ashton just laughs and looks at me straight in the eye as he quickly throws the knife at my stomach. I let out a deathly scream and fall to my knees, sobbing out of pain.
"ADELE!" Calum yells.
I slowly crumple, my body falls forward as I bring my hands out to stop myself from having my face hit the ground. But I can't hold my strength for much longer because of the shake of my hands, so I fall to my side. I clutch my stomach hard as I shrivel up on the floor. I let out a sob, Ashton stares down at me laughing.
He funny thing is, I can barely feel the pain.
Because it hurts much more to know that I'm gonna die than having the knife stuck inside my body.
"That's the spirt!" Ashton exclaims, I slowly look up at him.
"No! STOP!" I hear Luke yell as he becomes closer to Ashton, he pushes him. Ashton then kicks him back hard enough for Luke to fall over straight on his back bonking his head.
"Adele I applaud you," Ashton says clapping. "No group has survived more than two hours in this house beside you guys" he says, "but, I'm getting quiet bored of you four..." He trails off, he then thinks until his face lights up with a plan. "But....I've always wanted to see how long somebody could survive in our little game" he continues. "So how about this....starting now, well play fairly?" He asks in a question tone. "Or at least, play by the rules, which we haven't been doing...." He continues then clearing his throat and laughing. "This is what we will do, on the fifth hour, we will start fresh...and what I mean by that is that on your fifth hour, we will start playing fairly.....and we will play by are rules," Ashton says. "You all have brains.....but none of you have the power anymore to throw a decent punch," Ashton says snorting. "So, does this seem fair? becuase we love playing games, and we can't play games with out some victims," Ashton giggles. "So it settled. On the fifth hour, we play by the rules, you play by the rules. We all play by the rules. Its just like a fresh start. Clean slate. Agreed?" Ashton says, nobody answers. "Agreed," he mumbles.
That's when an eat piercing scream fills the room. I see Ashton's mouth wide open as the un-human sound flows out of his mouth. It makes my head dizzy and  my body ache, my head falls as I close my eyes shut. It feels like an earthquake happens whenever this scream comes. Everyone in the room falls to the floor.
And when it's done, nobody moves.
Nobody breathes.
Silence.