Chapter Twenty Seven

Calum broke down hard after he said that. He curled up into a ball, hugging his knees, and cried. I rubbed his back, trying to think of other ways to comfort him but nothing came to mind. The thing about Calum is that he doesn't cry hard, you don't hear him sobbing really, he's very quiet cryer, and that's what makes it even more painful to watch. He looks so helpless and hurt, and he didn't even do anything wrong. He's just trying to live.
A few more minutes passed until he lifts his head and wipes his tears off his face, his eyes red and watery, he looks straight forward at his reflection.
"Sorry" he whispers.
"Don't be" I say back. He wraps his arms around his knees and takes a few deep breaths.
"Adele I don't wanna be here anymore" Calum whispers, "I don't wanna die in here by some knife plunging into my body and killing me" he confesses. I nod and sigh.
"I know Calum, it's been hard...but look at it this way, we have only 12 or 13 more hours, and then we're out of here" I say, trying to be optimistic, Calum lets out a sob.
"How are we gonna survive 13 more hours of this?" He asks, trying to stop himself from crying again.
"Well we've gotten this far am I right? We just gotta keep fighting, I mean, just think about how good it's gonna be to get out of here" I whisper.
"....Adele when-no, more like if-I walk out of this house, I don't think I will ever be the same again" he says. "I honestly don't know what's worse, living with this being a part of me for the rest of my life, or dying from something that's already dead."
I'm speechless.
I'm speechless, because I realize how right he is.
This game has ruined us, no matter where we go.
We're all never gonna be the same again.
"Calum," I say, as I then go and give him a big hug. He wraps his arms around me in return as we sit there in silence holding each other.
"What if I die before I ever see Luke, Michael, or Ashton again?" He says tightening his grip.
"No, no Cal it won't happen it won't" I say, wanting to reassure myself more than to reassure him.
God he deserves so much better than this.
I then of course, hear that stupid buzz. When Calum hears it he springs back from me in shock. I then look to see right where he was sitting lays the phone.
"Shit" he whispers staring at it, "My phone is fucking demolished."
"At least you still have yours" I mumble picking it up.
"Touché" Calum says coming in closer to me. I swipe the severely cracked screen to see a text appear, god I've have grown to really hate technology.
Awe, you guys are cute. Crying on each others shoulders, giving each other words of wisdom. How sweet. I also noticed that you two (and your friend Luke) are truly starting to figure out this whole backstory....well, at least you think you do. And let me tell you something, that's not very nice.
How would you like it if I snuck around in your past?
Or more like, how would you like it if I....read your diary?
This is payback time.
Get ready to be scared.
Sincerely,
Mercy.
"Oh shit, oh shitty shit shit" Calum says running his hand through his messy hair.
"It's okay Cal we just gotta-"
"Payback time?! No! And where's the other ghost? why did only one ghost write to us? ADELE ANNABETH COULD BE HURTING LUKE AND ASHTON I-"
"CALUM CALM DOWN!" I yell over him, "we just gotta-" all of a sudden I feel a cool breeze pass by me. "Calm down..." I finish.
Thats when I get this strange feeling. This feeling that I have reminded me of the time when Luke was hiding in that room, I knew there was someone in there, but I didn't know who. The feeling that another living thing is amongst you, but you can't figure out what or who it is.
Something is in this room beside me and Calum.
"Adele....I'm scared" Calum whispers, I can tell he also senses were not alone. I stand up, knowing sitting down won't help me live if there's a reason I need to run. When I get up I extend my hand to Calum, he sighs and stands up as well, grabbing onto my hand tightly.
I then hear something.
Knock, knock, knock.
I spin around only to find me and Calum's reflection, my grip on Calum's hand tightens. He takes his other hand and attaches it to my upper arm. We both tense up. And that's when I see it.
"Adele....please tell me you see her too" Calum whispers, I nod in complete, utter, fear.
"I see her" I whisper, "I see her very well."
Looking into the mirror, I see behind us is the most realistic illusion yet.
"Who is that?" Calum whispers, squeezing my hand and arm tighter and tighter. My eyes stay glued to the little girl who stands behind us.
"It's not very nice to look through someone's diary" the girl speaks.
"Calum-" I whisper.
"I think I've figured it out" he whispers back.
We don't move.
We don't speak.
And we definitely don't run.
"Why won't you t-talk to me?"
We slowly turn around and face her.
Serena.
"It's not very nice to ignore people you know" she says, I can hear that she has a faint British accent. Also, her voice sounds so young, and she looks.....young....young but beaten.
"Are you two deaf? Or-or-do you not speak English?" She asks with curiosity filled in her voice.
"We're not deaf" Calum whispers, "we c-can hear you j-just fine" he stutters, I look at him with wide eyes, then back to the beaten little girl. "...um-er-h-how did you know we were hea-hear" Calum asks. I was thinking the same exact thing. The girl laughs, covering her mouth when she does.
"Just because i can't see doesnt mean I can't hear. You're breathing is louder than my screaming" she says making fun.
I can't stop staring at the bandage that wraps around her eye sockets, and the two splotches of blood where her eyes should be.
"Aha...haha" Calum tries to laugh.
"H-how did t-that happen to you?" I ask.
"...personal story that I would like to keep to myself" Serena responds, I notice how her hands have been behind her back the whole time.
"So....are you living?" I ask, Serena scoffs.
"Um....I think that's pretty self explanatory" she laughs.
"...So um, if your dead," I start, examining the girls body. She wears a torn and tattered dress, her long brown hair in a knotted braid, and he face has multiple scars and cuts on it. One of her legs is twisted a weird way, and in the center of her dress there's a giant splotch of blood, and then handle of a knife sticking out.
Holy fuck.
We're so screwed.
"Um...yes?" Serena says weirded out by my sudden pause, I step out of my trance and look her in the eye. The eye that she doesn't have....
I don't know where to look.
"Oh-Uh....well, how are you here then?" I ask. A look of anger spreads across Serena's face, but she quickly covers it up with an evil smirk.
"Magic" she says, then bitting down on her lip.
"Magic?" I question nervously.
"Yes Adele, magic" she repeats, a shiver gets sent down my spine and I squeeze Calum's hand tighter.
She knows my name.
All of a sudden Calum quietly gasps, as if he's had a sudden realization.
"Mercy....Adele it's Mercy....Serena isn't a ghost-she isn't even real" Calum whispers in my ear, all of a sudden Serena flies forward to us, a gust of wind shoots behind her as I scream in terror.
"What's that Calum? I could barley hear you from all the way over there" she says gritting her teeth, my breathing is fast, I can't calm myself down. "After all, I'm also missing one ear. Won't you take pity among a young girl?" Serena says, snapping her head towards Calum and being so close to him her bandage brushes his head. She looks so real, even though her feet don't touch the ground, leaving her to float in mid air.
"Serena I'm sorry it was nothing that your little mind needs to know about" Calum says quickly shutting his eyes, Serena evilly laughs, unlike the laugh she laughed earlier.
"Oh really? Not to say I was eavesdropping but I could of sworn I heard my name" she says, Calum's lip quivers.
"N-no you m-m-mis-mis-misheard me" Calum stutter in fear, letting a tear trail down his face.
"Oh? Well then pardon me for my irrational behavior!" Serena yells, then slowly backing away from Calum, and resting her feet back on the ground to where she was before. "I just-I don't like it when people do things like that....talk about me....go through my things...and there's this one thing that if someone read it would make me furious! I mean, what kind of ignorant snob would do that? Read a little girls diary? Go though my secrets, my stories, read my life! So wrong" Serena rants, I shake so hard it makes me uncomfortable.
"So sad" I whisper in response to her, since Calum obviously won't.
"You think so? Well that's quite strange...if you think it's so "sad" Adele, may I ask you, why you're holding it?" Serena says.
"H-holding wh-" all of a sudden I look down to find that I in fact, grasp onto the diary tightly. I shriek in terror, not being able to drop it, or at least loosen my grip.
"I swear this wasn't in my hand just a second ago! I would never read your diary-"
"LIE!" Serena screams making a lightbulb drop from the ceiling, I start to cry. "THATS A BIG FAT LIE! WHY WOULD YOU LIE TO ME?!" She wails.
"IM SORRY I DIDNT MEAN TOO!" I sob, Serena growls in frustration.
"You didn't mean too? Oh? Is that so?" Serena asks, I nod while crying.
"WELL IM PRETTY SURE THATS A LIE AS WELL!" She screams, yet again, another lightbulb drops.
"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry" I cry.
"Usually...if someone apologized to me I would forgive. BUT I DONT KNOW IF YOURE LYING OR NOT!" Serena screams, another lightbulb crashes to the ground.
"P-p-please-"
"Serena! Uh-listen...we didn't realize that you cared so much about this dairy...and were so sorry for reading it....the thing is, reading through it you seemed like a really nice girl, and I really wish those things didn't happen to you. It's terrible, you deserved better. So, how about we all just...stop arguing?" Calum says, looking as if he was gonna pass out in fear when saying those words. Serena cheeks glow red in embarrassment.
"Oh...Calum that's about the sweetest thing a boy has ever said to me" Serena confesses.
"Oh really? W-well I'm glad I made you feel special" Calum says with a hint of relief in his voice.
"I...I feel so foolish for yelling. I'm sorry for my behaviors, will you forgive me?" She says, he mood changing as if it was in the click of a button.
"Of course! Of course we do! R-right Adele?" Calum says nudging me with his elbow.
"Y-yes" I stutter, still crying.
"...so, we're all friends?" Serena asks.
"Yeah, bestises" Calum says, Serena laughs.
"This is great! I've never had best friends before!" she shrieks in excitement, I look down to find that the diary is no longer in my hands, and has vanished from sight. "We can play games, bake, I can show you around my house, we can paint, we can play with my dolls! This will be so much fun!" Serena rants.
"Yes, fun!" Calum says trying to sound exited. Serena laughs, but it then slowly fades as she seems to suddenly have a strange realization.
"But there will be a slight problem" Serena states.
"...what would that be?" Calum asks licking his lips.
"My mother" Serena confesses, now looking terribly sad.
Her moods change so quick.
"W-whys that a problem?" Calum asks.
"Thought you would already know since you read my diary" Serena spits.
"I-I forgot?" Calum says very unconvincingly.
"Oh? Well then I guess I better tell you about her" Serena starts.
"Please do" Calum says, Serena sighs.
"Well...first and most important thing you need to know is that she is very dedicated to her work," Serena starts, she then clears her throat. "You see, she's a writer...and what she writes about is some very crazy things...."
"Ghost" Calum whispers.
"Exactly...or as she would like to call it, spiritual connections. She's always in her room, which has her desk in it and mother and fathers bed. And that's where she would well...connect with sprits" Serena trails off.
"So she believes in the afterlife" Calum clears up.
"....I'm not quite sure if that's what you would call it, but I guess" Serena mumbles. "She was very loud when working though....always screaming things and throwing things and spazzing....and it was very scary when it was just us two at home. And even more scarier when my father stopped coming home from work" Serena confesses.
"I'm sorry" Calum whisper.
"Oh it's okay, I came up with a solution though. A way to drown out mothers working" Serena smirks, Calum's face turns from a pretend sympathetic look to frightened.
"...what would that be?" Calum whispers, eyes filled with fear.
"....I would sing" she states, Calum's shoulders drop as he nods.
"Oh, okay yes, singing....that's nice" he mumbles. Serena then tilts her head towards me.
"Adele do you wanna know what my favorite song was?" Serena says smiling.
"Y-yeah" I say breathing heavily.
"Oh well my all time favorite song was ring around the Rosie" Serena smirks evilly.
Great.
The creepiest fucking song for a little dead girl to sing.
Calum looks at me with fear in his innocent eyes, I bite my lip as he reaches out for my hand again. Both are hands trembling hard, we keep a secure grip on each other.
"Wanna here me sing it?" She asks.
"Um....I don't know maybe later" I reply loudly.
"I WASNT ASKING YOU!" she yells, I shut my eyes tight and hold my breath. "I was asking Calum. So, Calum, would you like to hear?" She asks. I open my eyes to find Serena right up in Calum's face. She looks so real.
"Yeah sure why not" Calum's shaky voice squeaks out. Serena blast back.
"okay great!" She shrieks.
"Just-" Calum starts but the quickly stops himself.
"What?" Serena snaps.
"Nothing just....have....fun...." Calum improvises, Serena giggles.
"So my voice might be a little rusty but, here goes nothing" she starts.
And right as she inhales to sing, the room seems to get darker.
"Ring around the rosy-"
The lights all flicker on and off, as her haunting voices echoes through the room.
"A pocketful of posies-"
Her, the illusion, seems to flicker, as all the mirrors behind her shatter. I bit so hard on my lip to stop myself from crying, it starts to bleed.
"Ashes-"
All the light bulbs on her side of the room rain down on her, passing through her body.
"Ashes-"
Calum falls to the floor unconscious.
"Calum!" I exclaim through tears.
"We all fall d-"
All of a sudden a loud "bang" echoes through the room. Serena screams a extremely familiar scream before she explodes into thousands of shards of glass.
"ADELE!"
I turn around, and have never been happier to see a boy with red hair.
I stand there in utter shock, not being able to move, and traumatized about what just happened.
"Adele I'm sorry for hurting you I'm a monster" Michael says, he stands there with his hand still on the doorknob, and out of breath.
I just stand there in shock, not being able to move. Michael then starts realizes something was going on in here, and his eyes widen when he sees Calum on the ground.
"I-I...." I try to speak, but I can't even say one word without shaking harder.
Michael then takes off his shoe and uses it as a way to keep the door open, just in case. He then walks over to me with no trouble at all.
"I....I....she-I..." I try to explain as Michael approaches me.
"What happened?" He asks me, glancing down at Calum ever so often.
"She-she-she-she-," as I try to speak I hear someone coughing, causing me to jump in terror.
I look down though to find its Calum coughing, he then gasps in air as he stops.
When he looks up, he lets out a tiny shriek when he sees Michael.
"Jesus" Calum says putting his hand on his chest. "You scared me" he whisper.
"Are you okay?" Michael asks, he then extends his hand out to him so he can get up.
"That was the scariest moment of my life" Calum says, his voice raspy and cracking.
"What happened to you guys? Why did you....pass out?" Michael says keeping a sturdy grip on Calum's arm after he got up. Calum rocks back and fourth, still lacking balance.
"She started singing...I don't even know I was so scared and when the mirrors broke I just-yeah....passed out" Calum mumbles embarrassed. Michael looks at him confused.
"She?" He asks.
"Serena" Calum whispers.
"It was just an illusion" I say harshly, the boys both snap there heads towards me, giving me signs of mixed emotions.
"Let's get you guys out of here"
Michael mumbles, he then leads us to the door. When we exit the room, I instantly go the the table in the kitchen area, where I sit down and hold my head in my hands.
"Are you guys okay?" Michael asks.
"...no" Calum mumbles, I then start to cry again, grabbing onto my hair tightly.
"She was so real! And she had no eyes-and she yelled at me-and put the diary in my hands-and I'm so scared!" I sob, my crying echoes through the abandoned kitchen as the boys watch me cry. All of a sudden my hand buzzes, causing me to scream in fear because I'm now so tense.
"LEAVE ME ALONE FOR ONE GOD DAMN FUCKING SECOND!" I scream, then chucking the phone across the room, and continuing to cry.
The boys look at me in awe for my behavior.
".....nice throw" Michael whispers.
I let out a little laugh through the tears.
"Thank you Michael" I cry.
I then wipe the tears off my face, and my crying turns into hiccups and catching my breath.
"Wasn't Luke with you guys?" Calum asks, trying to change the subject.
I lift my head up and and lock eyes with Michael who then looks sick.
Me and Calum both wait for Michel to explain where Luke is.
"Um...well.....I'm sorry..... Luke...gotdraggedunderthebedintheroomupstairs after you left" Michael says insanely quick.
Calum looks at Michael weirdly, I just continue to sniffle while looking at him in confusion.
"What?" Calum asks. Michael then sighs with a worried look on his face.
"Adele after you left things started to get worse-and Luke started to bleed even more-and then there was the writing on the wall-and I tried to help but I just made things worse-I'm a monster i don't mean to hurt you guys but i keep doing it-and then Luke got dragged under the bed by this force-and I got thrown out of the room and the doors locked and Luke is probably dead" Michael says, pacing back and fourth.
Calum's jaw drops.
I cover my mouth with my hand.
Michael runs his hand through his hair.
"I tried to save him but I'd either hurt him or hurt myself" Michael whispers.
I look to Calum, Calum looks to Michael, and Michael looks to me. We all look at each other with a look of sadness.
When will we get a break?
"....under the bed" I whisper.
"Yeah" Michael responds, "under the bed-under the fucking bed!" He yells, and then punches the wall.
We all sit there in silence, Michael leans against the wall and growls in frustration.
"It's okay-"
"No its not" Michael snaps cutting Calum off. "We might as well kill ourselves and be done with this."
Thats when a fire strikes inside me.
Kill ourselves?
How can he say that?
"Shut your fucking mouth" I mumble, Michael looks to me.
"What?" He says.
"I said, shut your fucking mouth!" I repeat. "Don't ever say that Michael please don't ever say that again!"
"....sorry, but my stay here hasn't been too great, so pardon me for sharing my opinion!" Michael fights back.
"Guys-" Calum says.
"Well neither has mine but you don't see me trying to end everyone's life!" I snap.
"DID I FUCKING SAY I WANTED TO END EVERYONES LIFE-"
"GUYS!" Calum yells.
"CALUM!" Michael and I yell.
"Just stop bickering and apologize to each other, your acting like fucking six year olds" Calum says annoyed.
Me and Michael stare at each other.
"I'm sorry" Michael says quickly.
"Sorry..." I whisper in return. Calum then takes a deep breath.
"Let's just....lets just gather ourselves for a second, and think of a way to fix this" Calum says.
"Fix this? How-"
"We will. We just will" Calum whispers, and with that Michael takes a deep breath, and sits down at the table with us.
"Okay" he whispers, "let's fix this."
-----------------------------------------
IM SORRY I SUCK THAT TOOK LIKE TEN MILLION YEARS
Long story short school was a bitch, first few weeks of summer I got grounded (yay me), I went on a vacation with NO wifi for two weeks, annnnd this was a long chapter which took a (remember me for) centur(ies)y to write. (FOB OK)
SO IM SORRY but I HOPE U LIKED THIS CHAPTER
WHOS SHIPPING WHO? I WANNA KNOW
VOTE, COMMENT, READ, SHARE
Sorry for bad grammar and spelling (as always)
LOVE YOU BIYA👽