Chapter Thirty Seven

[Ashton's POV]

-Many Hours Earlier-

"Are you gonna kill me?" I ask, trying to hold in tears as I sit in the middle of a dark and unfamiliar room. "Hello?" I call out.
How the hell did I get here? Where even am I?  Where did the others go? One second I'm on a room that's on fire and the next thing I know I'm surrounded by absolute.....darkness.
Ok just retrace your steps. Did you blackout? Probably. Last thing that you saw was Calum puking his guts out all over a raging fire and then-
Well, now you're here....
Suddenly a cool breeze passes me, and in my ear a soft, but dark voice erupts saying the simple words, "Lets just get this over with."
I jump and check behind me to see no one there. I try to hold in tears as I become more and more paranoid of my surroundings. "What the hell do you want?!" I yell, scaring myself more than anyone or anything else.
Think Ashton, think. Where the hell are you?!
Suddenly I see a light in the distance. A small, frail, light coming from the last thing you would want light to come from. Calum's phone.
I quickly crawl across the room and too the small object to see what text was sent. And what I read makes me confused. The text says: We have chose you.
"Chose me?" I squeak out. "Chose me for what?"
On the phone another text pops up: To kill :)
Wait.
"You have to be joking me right now," I mumble. "Is this some kind of a joke? Who's doing this! Show yourself! This isn't funny anymore this is-"
And I get cut off by the sound a a thud behind me.
I look back and see rope, also, what I didn't notice before are three platters. One has a knife, one has Michael's hat, and one has an empty glass.
A long text then appears on the phone: Surprisingly, we can kill you with any of these objects. Isn't that amazing? I mean, who would've guessed you can kill someone with a hat? Anyways, since we have chose you to be our lucky first death of the day we thought we would let you choose how you would like to die. You see, usually we don't do this. But you seem like a good kid, you seemed like you would have a bright future. Kinda a shame you have to go.... Oh well. We'll get over it! Now, please, tell us, what is your choice?
I slowly look up from the phone and at the platers. "What the hell?" I exclaim. I then stand up, my knees making a cracking sound when I do because of  how long I must have been on the ground. "I'm not dying! Okay? I refuse to die....You can't just go around killing people because you feel like it or- whatever! So no, I'm not gonna pick!".
Silence surrounds me when I finish. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Maybe you scared them off?? Maybe the jokes finally over? Maybe they've given up? Or-
Suddenly, the knife from off the plater comes whizzing towards me at an incredible speed. I scream in terror as I drop to the ground. "Stop!" I yell as I then see the glass start to shift, but before I can even react the knife comes flying back, but closer to the ground now. I scream again and quickly roll over and out of the way. I then get up and grab whatever object is left on the platers for defense. But, of course, that object is the hat. "Shit!" I curse under my breath. I then notice that both the glass and the knife have disappeared. I look around me paranoid, gripping onto Michael's hat with so much strength as if it's actually gonna help me.
Then it hits me; I could actually die.
I can be a dead man any second now.
And for once in my life, the last thing I want right now is to die. I for once have been feeling so alive and so free and that could all be over right now.
Everything that I've worked for and all I've been through will be....gone.
"I don't wanna die...." I whisper. I then loosen my grip on the hat and let it fall to the floor, "I will do anything you want! Anything! You name it I'll make it happen....as long as I live," I shout out into the empty room.
Complete silence is my answer.
"Come on..." I mumble under my breath.
I then feel that cool breeze I felt before, and the same voice that came to me last time speaks, "Anything?".
I look behind me to yet again see no one there. I take a deep breath before answering back with, "Anything you want."
"Would you even....kill?" The voice whispers in my ear. This time though the voice makes me shiver, scaring me more than it has before. I don't even bother to turn around this time though because I just know that no one will be there.
Kill? You're not capable of killing anyone-
"As long as I stay alive," I whisper, cutting off my thoughts.
Instantly when I say those words though a horrible feeling fills my stomach. I feel like throwing up.
I then look to the ground and see the phone light up. I quickly walk over to it and see a nice long text on the screen.
It says: We will make you a deal. If during the very last hour of the game you kill every living girl and boy in this house, we will let you live. You can leave here and go on with your life if you agree to do that very simple task.
"Simple?" I whisper, "You're joking? That's not simple at all and I-"
I get cut off by another incoming text.
It reads: If you do not agree to complete this task we will be forced to kill you right here and right now. Then, after we kill you all your friends will be dead shortly after. The choice is yours but you must hurry.
My hands start to shake as the horrible feeling in my stomach grows.
I mean, they're gonna die either way, right? Why not save myself if I can?
Then again....These are your best friends...killing the girl won't be as hard but...
I'm gonna have to kill Luke. How am I gonna kill Luke? My feelings for him have been so complicated since day one I can't just kill him....
And Calum and Michael are your best friends!
The phone buzzes: Times up, what's your choice?
"I'll do it. I'll kill them all. Even Luke."
Then, everything goes black.