Chapter Sixteen

Luke's P.O.V
"Alright, somebody go get her," Ashton says annoyed.
"Let the bitch die," Michael mumbles.
"Michael this is all your fault jackass," I snap as Michael rolls his eyes.
"Right, all my fault. Okay, well I'm sorry that the girl such a drama queen!" Michael rants. I just roll my eyes and look down.
"We can't let her die you idiots! Don't you remember? We all have to be alive by the end of the game! Plus, we can't do that to her. Even though she's clearly pissed off at me I don't think it's right that we should be threatening her like that...It's fucking mean," Ashton mumbles.
"Michael, why did you lash out on her? She didn't do anything to you," Calum asks.
"You guys just don't get it," Michael scoffs.
"What? What don't we get! We can't read your mind! Use words Michael," Calum says.
"Ashton how come you did it?" Michael asks changing the subject.
"Jesus Christ what I would do for an answer," Calum mumbles.
"Uh...Michael...not now..." Ashton says through gritted teeth.
"What? What did you do?" I question, now worried about Ashton.
"Nothing," Ashton mumbles. Michael laughs.
"Yeah," Michael says sarcastically.
"Nothing?" I question.
"Yeah nothing," Ashton mumbles looking down.
"You guys, stop hiding stuff from the rest of us," Calum complains.
"Were not hiding anything! It's you guys who are hiding something from me if anything," Ashton says.
"Oh really? And what's that?" I asks sarcastically.
"With Adele-"
"Of course-"
"Michael shut up," I snap.
"As I was saying, Adele said I stabbed her? I mean, I didn't do that! So what's with you guys saying I did?" Ashton questions, I gets quiet.
"Well I mean you did try and kill her," Calum says.
"And me," I add.
"And me," Calum says. Ashton stares at us weirdly.
"Guys, wha-what are you talking about no I didn't- stop joking around," Ashton stutters confused.
"Awe fuck Ashton, YOU DID!" Michael yells.
"What are you guys talking about? No I didn't!" Ashton says.
"But...you did," Calum fights.
"You guys! I WOULD REMEMBER IF I TRIED TO KILL THREE PEOPLE!" Ashton yells.
Then, Ashton, Calum, and Michael start yelling and screaming at each other. Which makes my heart beat fast and my head pound.
Shit
Of course, it then pounds until the voices come back again. The voices whispering things over and over again, trying to kill me and making me go crazy. They get louder than the three boys combined.
It always happens when someone yells, and I don't understand why.
"Stop! Stop yelling! S-stop-p-please-I-stop-stop-stop..." I keep yelling until I realize that the three of them are staring at me as I cover my ears and the whispering voices fade. I then take a deep breath.
Calum has a judgmental grin on his face making me look down.
"What is wrong with you?" Michael says coldly. I try and choke out words to explain but can't, my voice goes dry whenever I try. "Well? You just gonna sit there? Hello? Luke?" Michael says, I then clear my throat and glare at Michael.
"Well if none of you douches are gonna get Adele I will," I snap standing up.
"Luke she's gonna kill you," Michael says sighing.
"Shut up," I whine, then clearing my head of all the voices and opening the door.
"Luke!" I hear one of them yell, but I just slam the door and walk down the hall.
When I reach the stairs I notice that the lightbulbs are back on the floor again, cracked and broken. I gulp loudly which hurts my head, but then continue to walk down, trying not to step on any glass or make any noises.
"Adele?" I call out quietly. I then glance in the living room, I don't see her there which leads me to believe she's in the kitchen. "Adele?" I question, "listen I know you're mad, and I complety understand why you would be...." I start, then looking down the hall to see that the paintings that were hung up on the walls are ripped up and scattered across the hall floor. "Adele!?" I yell down the hall. I then hear a noise from the kitchen.
I slowly walk through the hall, examining the broken paintings and the shattered lightbulbs. The weird thing is, it doesn't shock me anymore that I didn't hear about 50 lightbulbs shatter to the ground, or that Adele wondered off like that. I'm not even scared anymore, so much has happened already.
Too much even.
When I reach the end of the hall, I. take a deep breath before entering the room. After I do, I walk in.
I quietly stand in front of the kitchen, and I see her. Adele's back is to me, she's near the sink, the kitchen completely clean. I gulp loudly and then bite down on my lip. My mouth itches with words wanting to come out, but I'm too scared. I open my mouth, stuck on what to say to her. But before I can get anything out of my mouth her shakey voice beats me to it.
"I-I told you t-to not f-follow me," she says.
Her arms from what I can see, are shaking hard. But since there in front of her and her backs to me, it's hard to get a good look.
"I-I know," I say not really able to say anything else. I didn't know what to say, I mean, what should I say?
"Then why did you?" She says tilting her head a bit.
"I-I um...I just...We need you back up there so-" I start, but Adele let's out a breathy laugh leaving me to pause and bite my tongue.
She then quiets down.
"Luke, please, go on," Adele says resting her hands on the edge of the sink.
Something sparkles near her knuckles, but I don't dare to get a good enough look to move. Adele looks as if she's gonna snap any second.
"Um, so we can uh, finish the game..." I say quietly, Adele nods.
"Bullshit," she mumbles.
"Huh?" I say confused.
"Bullshit Luke, bullshit!" She yells slamming the counter, her back still to me. I jump back shocked by the sudden movement.
"Adele I-"
"Don't Luke, I need space don't you get it?" Adele snaps.
"I'm just trying to help-"
"I don't need help!" She yells, I then see something drop out of her hands and on the floor. It crashes down hard as her hands stiffen by her side.
"I-" I try to choke out something but I can't.
"I don't need any help! I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine!" She yells.
"No Adele! I mean, look at you!" I shout back ponting to her, even though she isn't looking at me. She stands there for a moment. Thinking, I assume.
"Look at me?" She questions scoffing, "Look at yourself Luke," she says. "You think I've lost it?" She continues, I step back a little scared. "Luke you-you almost killed Calum."
All of a sudden anger swells up inside me. They need to understand something's messing with my mind, making me do things I usually wouldn't do, freaking me out more then usual. Making me become who I am now.
"Is that all you remember me doing? Because I remember saving you when Ashton was about to slit your throat. And if I remember clearly, I was the one that helped you when we were trapped in that room and the bathtub was flooding-"
"And I remember that I was the only one brave enough to go up to you after you and Calum's little 'incident.' And I was the-"
"Adele can't we just be friends throughout this? I don't wanna argue-"
"Luke I can't! I can't do that!" She yells, I sigh.
"Do what, not hate me? Adele I don't think you understand your the only one left! The rest are mad at me! They all think I'm crazy! I swear I'm just trying to survive this thing like you guys. Except it's not fair because I-" and right as I was about to spill my throat becomes dry stopping me. Adele's head lifts.
"Why is it not fair? Why is it only for you not fair?" She says, her voice shaky.
"I can't say it," I whisper.
"Yeah, that's what I thought" she says coldly. My heart sinks when she does.
"Adele, please you're all I have left,"'I say.
Adele's back is still to me as she raises her hands up and seems to examin them. She then sighs loudly and drops them back to her side.
"Luke, I wanna be with you....I wanna be your friend," she says, my eyes light up, "but how can I?" She says.
"Adele we can survive this thing without them we don't need them," I say hoping she'll accept.
"Yes but, I made a promise to one of them," Adele whisper, "That I'd never forget. And I'm afraid that when I'm with you I'll easily forget it all, and I can't do that," she says.
"Forget what?" I asks.
Adele then turns around, her face has a bleeding cut on it, but the rest of her looks flawless.
"Him," she whispers. I then look down, biting my lip and thinking.
"You won't forget. I won't let you, I promise," I say all to quickly. She laughs, but her face contains a look of sorrow. "Adele, please I'm begging you," I whisper. She then looks down, biting her lip like I do when thinking long and hard.
"Okay," she finally whispers, a smile comes across my face.
"Okay," I say.
She then runs up to me and hugs me hard, making me feel safe again. Like I'm not everyone's first target and that everyone wants me dead. I finally have her back.
I sigh escapes from my mouth and my shoulders drop.
"Luke I don't know what to do though," she says still holding onto me tight.
"Neither do I, but that doesn't matter. I mean, we just can't die," I say, Adele then laughs.
"Well no shit, but I mean about the rest," she says, her voice sounds scratchy. I then glance at the cut on her cheek, it looks bad.
"How'd you get that?" I asks.
"I-I-it slipped," she says then turning around and glancing at an object on the floor. I walk over to it realizing it's a knife. Confused, I bend down and pick it up.
"Adele where did you get this?" I asks, saying there no other supplies in the kitchen.
"Um, it was lying in the counter next to the phone," she says. I then glance over at the counter to see Calum's cracked phone lying there. I go over to it and click the home button to turn it on, I then swipe the screen and it automatically opens up in texts. The text says; do it Adele.
I look at the text, and then at Adele who looks down avoiding eye contact.
"Do what Adele?" I ask, she keeps looking down, "kill...us?" I think.
"No, never," she whispers, "kill, I don't know...myself?" She says. I frown at her. "This house just wants us to die already...And I couldn't take it up there anymore so I thought, it's only gonna get worse from here. And I don't wanna live through that anymore," Adele says. I look at the phone in disbelief. Then to Adele.
"Adele you weren't gonna do it right?" I ask, even though she's clearly already answered the question.
"Well, I mean....I don't know kind of," she says. I then stare at her uncontrollably, "yeah I was," she finally let's out.
"No, no you weren't," I say.
Adele looks at me weirdly, but I can't help myself. The words just slip out of my mouth.
"Luke it's okay, you stopped me....Its okay now," she says smiling, but it's a fake smile.
"No," I say harshly, "It's not fucking okay," I say tightening my grip around the knife. This is all Michaels fault. This is all Ashton's fault. It's all there fault. I think.
"Luke calm down," she says sternly.
I then glance at the knife in my hands, and when I see it I imedenlty drop it. And why do I do this? Well, I realize it's the same knife that I used when I was angry at Calum. And that means it's the same knife that Calum used when he tried to kill me. And coincidentally, it was the same knife Ashton used trying to kill us all. And now, Adele used it to try and kill herself?
"What? What is it?" Adele asks walking over.
"The knife," I say thinking.
"What about it?" She asks.
"It's the same knife Adele, it's the same goddamn knife that we all used when killing each other," I say, Adele then starts to think too.
"So?" She says.
"Well, don't you think that's weird! Maybe it's this knife that's messing with our minds each time it's held in are hands," I say. Adele then thinks.
"Well I mean, I guess...It didn't mess with you just then though," Adele says.
"Yeah it did! Didn't you see the mood change? The sudden switch of well, me to an....angry me?" I say.
"Well...I guess," she says, "I guess you're right."
"And when you had it, you were, different," I say referring to Adele.
"Your right," Adele says then thinking. Her eyes then light up "Luke! you're a genius!" Adele yells, making me smile.
"I know!" I yell back, making Adele giggle.
"We need to demolish this thing or something," Adele says tapping the knife with her foot.
"Yes," I say. But right as I was about to pick it up, a sharp pain enters my head. And everywhere I look turns black.