Chapter 15: A Painful Absence

"I should've never shown him who I was. But I just couldn't stand seeing him feel that way, it was breaking my heart. I only wanted to help...."

You lay on the floor in disbelief. You imagined he would be a bit frightened about it but enough to threaten you and walk out?

As you began to make your way back home you shivered at the promise he made "You ever come near me again I will kill you."

"It's not fair. I have accepted every part of him! He's a murderer, thief, and a criminal but he couldn't understand me. But going as far as to accuse me of bewitching him with my ability-it's the worst thing he's done." You said in between tears.

Everything happened so quickly, you barely had a chance to catch up with your sentiments. You could almost feel as if it were all a dream. As if you would wake up and you would be in his arms again. Your eyes began to water and try as you might, you couldn't hold back anymore.

Hands shaking, you felt yourself fall into your bed. Tears streamed freely down your face.

"I don't understand...I gave everything I could...and it still wasn't enough."

Memories of the past few months flooded you instantly, your mind was cruel and unforgiving. You wished so deeply for him to come back or just call you, but hours passed and his absence became more permanent. You felt anger, betrayal, rejection. It was the fear that he would go through with such a threat that prevented you from following him or reaching out.

"How could he ever say he cared if he would think about hurting me."

You were once again, completely alone. It had been a whirlwind romance, but you knew more than anyone that the feelings you felt were genuine and true. You had never used your power to deceive him into caring for you.

"Is he really that broken that he can't accept the way he feels is normal?"

And there you were, lying motionless on your bed staring at the ceiling above. Your shirt began to dampen with tears. As much as you hated the ability you held, you wanted more than anything to be able to use it on yourself at this specific moment.

****************************************************************************************************

In the ten days that had gone by, you had shifted back to the mundane rhythm of life. Everything was almost the same, with the exception of the empty feeling in your heart. The lack of his soothing and soft-spoken voice, your late-night phone calls, the heat you shared when making love, it all stung.

You had been working exclusively directly under Cheadle during this time, so you did not have a chance to see your friend at work. You had also been ignoring all her phone calls, text messages, and voicemails. It felt selfish, but you couldn't bring yourself to tell her what had gone down between you and Feitan. The thought of reliving those moments was enough to nearly bring you to tears.

You had been called into your boss's office. You fiddled with your fingers nervously as you approached her. You still had under-eye bags from crying so frequently, and your hair had been messily thrown in a bun. It was rare for you to look this way.

"Ms. L/N, please come in." Cheadle was standing behind her desk, scanning a document on the machine in front of her.

"Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come and see me. I'll try to make this short that way you can go back to work."

She finished with the paperwork and placed it in a folder. She was always meticulous with files and important documents.

"We need you to collect a very important viral sample. It's located at a remote village about a 2 day's journey from here. There have been reports of an outbreak in the area, although sources speculate it could be water-borne. Still, we must ask you to take as many precautions as needed. We must handle this with caution, as this is a task we can only entrust to a pro hunter like you."