Chapter 29: Whispers in the Night

art credit: est_42 on twitter

"What is this? Where...am I?" a voice echoed loudly throughout the empty walls.

The ground was cold and covered with a thick layer of dirt. It seemed to be an abandoned building with large square windows covered with fading layers of paint. Sunlight barely passed through the cracks, enough to illuminate the area faintly.

Feitan could feel someone next to him, breathing heavily. His hearing was nearly perfect, and he could instantaneously recognize who it was.

"Machi why you here?" He finally opened his eyes, and he was lying flat on the floor. The wind was beginning to pick up the dust around them.

Machi was no older than 10, her messy pink hair was just above her shoulders and her blue eyes wide with curiosity. She was never one to speak first, and this was no exception.

"Are you okay?" The black-haired 14-year-old wondered as he sat up.

"Yeah sorry, I brought you here because you passed out from running after Phinks in the hot sun for so long. It gets pretty cool in here." She whispered, dropping her head as she spoke and letting her bangs drop over her eyes.

Feitan had never been here before much to his surprise as there were few places like this that he didn't know. As he continued to look around him, marveling at the high ceiling and windows that surrounded them.

There were few moments where they had spent time alone like this, and it seemed to Feitan as if they were getting more frequent almost as if Machi would innocently craft ways to have to them run into each other like this.

"Thank you. We should go back." He said while he stood up. Extending his arm to help Machi stand up, she sheepishly took his invitation.

As they began to walk away, Machi looked to her side and gave him the closest thing to a smile that she could give. He failed to notice her gesture but through his peripheral vision, he could tell she was staring at him. Feitan began to slowly increase the distance between them but never leaving her too far behind.

This was one of the earliest times he could remember Machi treating him distinctly from any of their friends. He didn't think much of this, mostly because he had so much more to worry about. What he didn't know was that Machi didn't have a particular fondness for him because she had any romantic feelings for him, especially not as they grew older. She was this way because she had an overwhelming urge to control certain aspects and people in her life. She felt this urge because just like

Out of all the boys in the group, Feitan was the one that intimated her the least. He was shy, quiet, and mostly kept to himself. She had known him for as long as she could remember and while they grew up together, they were never close enough to consider each other siblings. She grew somewhat attached to him because of his unpredictability and how indifferent he was to her, even though deep down he cared about all his friends.