Chapter 37: The Chains That Bind Us

Fanart by JellyfishSam on DeviantArt

"The problem isn't that I don't want to give you back your Nen. It's that I can't."

The blood running through your veins was burning, raging like fire. Words spoken echoed, it nearly ached.

You couldn't even look up at the man standing in front of you. It enraged you to see that Kurapika's expression was relaxed, almost empathetic.

"Don't look at me like that, asshole" you growled. Your eyes stayed glued to him, never looking away, not even for a second.

"There's no need to be offensive, or rude." He replied, lowering his eyes to observe you. You had a feeling he was looking for where you could have possibly hidden the antivenom.

You stepped back, breaking the stare between you two.

"Rude is kidnapping me, keeping me in a cold, wet dump for days, and chaining me up. If anything, I'm not rude, you are. I'm just returning the favor." you snapped, turning around to start pacing around the blonde man.

You decided that there was no point in being so tense, Kurapika knew that there was a possibility that you could have the antivenom on you, but chances were slim. Any remotely intelligent person would make the choice to conceal it somewhere that wasn't on their body. If he attacked you while you were distracted or looking away, he risked everything.

"I wouldn't disagree with you, but dating a sociopathic murderer is far more...impolite." He smirked. He seemed so calm for a man who just got his friend poisoned, and needs to get the antidote from someone who despises him.

"Shut the hell up."

"What do we do then?" Kurapika said while he lowered his hands, it was like he was waving a white flag.

"Do you really mean it? You can't give me back my ability?" Your voice finally cracked, there was little hostility left, just pure vulnerability.

He sighed, raising his head gently. He ran his chain-enterlaced fingers through his medium-length hair. When observing him, you felt nothing. Static, radio-silence.

"No." He stepped closer, but you quickly distanced yourself from Kurapika.

"I have a variety of abilities, as I'm sure you already know. The downside to this is that I sometimes do not know the full extent of them. My steal chain is...one of my most elusive hatsu. I may know how to steal abilities, but I have never been able to give them back."

To say you were disappointed was an understatement. You couldn't grasp the full range of emotions you were feeling at that moment. It wasn't just about all the time you had wasted preparing for this very moment. You had considered every possibility, from variations to Kurapika's schedule to backup plans to your backup plans. The one thing you hadn't planned for was that he would not be able to give you your hatsu back. You produced a piece of chain link you kept hidden in the pocket of your jacket. Throwing it on the ground, you turned around and began to walk away.