Chapter 36

Chan is having to use the torch on his phone to see as he walks around to the back of the college, making his way to the willow tree where he spends lunch. He can only see the silhouette of the tree as he gets closer, the light from his torch just reaching a few meters ahead on the grass.

"C-Chan?" A voice calls out from near the tree. They can see a light approaching but it's too bright to see who's behind it.

Hearing his name called Chan replies, "Hyunjin?" Chan can't help freezing up in his tracks as he shines the torch on Hyunjin who looks even weaker than before in the hospital.

He's finally close enough and can see Hyunjin; his hair a mess, feet bare and muddy, and the gown also muddied with tears around the base. Taking one step closer Chan can now see their face clearly, the red and swollen eyes with dried tears lines leading down his face.

Hyunjin goes to speak opening his mouth and a small broken voice comes out, "I'm sorry I- I didn't want anyone else to see m-"

"No no there is nothing you need to be sorry about." Chan rushes over to be standing in front of Hyunjin. He wants to hug the broken boy but their relationship is complicated and it'll end up being awkward. "Why'd you call me and not Minho?" Chan decides to say instead.

Hyunjins lifts his head to be looking at Chan, he can see the worry in the eyes of the other and it gives him a feeling of relief, "B-because I need to talk to you about things." Flashing a forced smile, a tear makes its way down Hyunjin cheek.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, I've read your letter and understand everything." Chan puts his hand up to Hyunjins cheek to wipe away the tear but he freezes unsure whether he should or not until Hyunjin relaxes his head in Chan's hand. "Where have you been we've been looking for you all over. You're all muddy and you bandages-" Chan grabs Hyunjins arm to examine them, letting out a sigh in relief of the bandages still being on and no sign of blood.

"Aha about that." Hyunjin nervously laughs as he recalls what happened. "I um... there is this place I like to go to in the woods to clear my mind and think but while I was there I got dizzy and passed out. By the time I woke up the sun was setting and I could barely see my way out, which caused me to trip quite a few times. On my way back to school I walked past a stranger and they let me call you from their phone. They must think I'm crazy but luckily I don't think the recognised me like this."

"You look like a mess." Chan jokes wanting to lighten the situation.

Hyunjin lets out a slight chuckle in return, "I feel like one too." Chan watches as Hyunjins face sinks, a frown that could hurt anyone who sees it.

"I think you should talk to Felix and Changbin. You have no idea how worried they were, even more worried then Minho." Chan pats Hyunjin on the shoulder and realises how awkward the air between them has become in a split second.

"Will they forgive me though?" Hyunjin lets out a slight laugh at the end thinking he already knows the answer. The pain in his heart clenching every time he thinks of the two he has hurt the most.

Chan pulls Hyunjin in close, wrapping his arms around the tallers back, "They already have." He whispers. It's not a lie, Felix and Changbin have both forgiven Hyunjin once the whole truth had come out.

The two don't say anything else, unsure of what to say. They stay holding onto each other under the willow trees branches. All this time they have spent hating one another over a misunderstanding has been forgotten and they can start a new. Chan silently thinks to himself, thanking Felix for searching for the answer, Minho for giving Felix that answer, and Seungmin for helping Hyunjin understand the real him.