chapter-42

When morning came around Josie became so jittery she hasn't been able to stay calm for a minute and has finally given up. She has cleaned the apartment meticulously, getting rid of the dirty socks from the couch and the piles of dishes in the kitchen. She has showered and washed her hair twice and has spent about two hours trying to decide what to wear before she settled on her favourite pair of jeans and a yellow top.

She is almost done when the door bell rings at exactly eight o'clock.

Josie opens the door, and for a moment her heart stops, she is wearing jeans that seem to be painted on her strong legs, a simple white T-shirt and a soft looking, chestnut coloured leather-jacket. Her eyes are almost too beautiful shade of green to be real and the small smirk playing around the corners of that beautiful mouth makes Josie die a little inside.

''Can I come in?'' Penelope asks after a few moments in which Josie has failed to find her speech.

''What? Oh. God, yes. Please. Come in!'' Josie ducks her head and pulls the door open further.

Penelope chuckles when she walks past Josie.

Penelope's smile stays friendly and charming when her gaze returns to Josie who is still standing by the door, watching Penelope while unconsciously gnawing on her bottom lip.

''Hi'' Penelope says after a moment of silence.

She says it with a calm sort of serenity that baffles Josie but she hurries to speak.

"Hey. You look really hot" she didn't even registered what she said till she saw Penelope smirking at her. Josie's face showed dark shade of red.

"I know"

"I- I'm-"

"Josie it's okay, relax. I'm not gonna eat you" Penelope says which Josie takes as in double meaning. Now it was Penelope who was blushing with Josie grinning.

"Really?..."

"No. I mean, I didn't mean it like that"

They stared at each other for a few seconds, before both breaking down into laughter. Josie looked back up at Penelope, who was smiling.

"Umm....I actually came here to talk Mr. Saltzman. So will you please cal-

"Oh. Sorry but nobody is here right now. Mom and dad both went out with uncle Kai to the famous Italian restaurant. They had some business meeting their, I guess."

“Okay. That's alright. I just wanted to ask him when I can join?”

“About that...” Josie hurries to fetch the envelope that has been sitting on the kitchen counter.

Penelope takes a brief look inside and then puts the envelope into the inside pocket of her jacket before she shrugs out of it. Alaric have mentioned Penelope to join the next day onwards in his note.

Before Josie could ask the questions swimming around her mind, they heard small barks. Penelope's heart melted at the sight of her puppy hiding behind Josie's legs, tails wagging with excitement.

Penelope was crouching down in one swift movement, reaching out to pick him up. The excited puppy licked her face, wriggling its back legs to try and get closer. She couldn't help the smile taking over her face as the puppy tried to climb in her arms. Eyes shining bright with unimaginable adoration, she stood back up, giggling all the while as the puppy in her arms wiggled about.