chapter-41

The ride to Penelope's apartment had been spent in tense silence, something Josie tried to negate by playing music and opening her car's windows. But there was a somber tone that failed to leave; both knew the weight of the moment. They had so much they wanted to say.

It isn’t until Penelope is out of the car and is walking towards her apartment when Josie speaks.

“Penelope…”

Penelope stiffens and then sighs and tries to meet Josie's eyes.

"I saw you, at the party, with someone?" Penelope's voice tapers off, and Josie walks toward her with  frown and this little crease on her forehead that Penelope feels the need to smooth away. Josie stops before she invades Penelope's personal space.

"Penelope, I absolutely promise it was not what you think it was." Josie said with her hands in the air for defense.

Josie's honesty and confidence encourages Penelope's own. She nods.

"You know, it hurt when I realised that you weren't feeling same for me. But nothing can compare to the pain that I felt when I saw you with her. When I looked at you and her, my heart ached. I wished it to be me. But I now know it won't happen" Penelope says, holding back the tears that stung at her eyes.

“I'm sorry. But it's not what you think.  I too have feelings for you and I would never hurt you because....I-” Josie looks down at her feet, her voice wobbling. When she looks up again she has a pained smile on her lips

"I.. I love you." Josie never thought those words would ever come out of her mouth, atleast not now.

But it was done.

It's late, they're alone, it's quiet and it just happened. She couldn't take it back.

The face Penelope had made the instant the words had come out of Josie's mouth. Happiness, sadness, fear she couldn't choose what shown more of all three.

"Josie" Penelope whispered and Josie's heart dropped. She fucked up.

"I- I.." Penelope continues. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything. It's okay."

"I'm sorry Josie. I just. I really want to say but I-"

"You're scared."

"I just saw you with her and...I felt like...I thought you might be..." She can hardly breathe now. She knows she is being stupid, it's not like they were even together, but she knew what she felt for Josie was genuine. She loves Josie so much and apparently love can make you a little crazy at times.

"Penelope. Please listen. It's nothing like that, I promise. But I'm sorry if seeing that upset you. I accept that I kissed Jade-"

"Huh?"

"Jade. It's her name. She is one of my friend. She apparently asked me for help...to make Ethan jealous-"

"Ethan who?"

"Umm... long story short. They both love eachother but because Ethan was insecure or afraid or I don't know what...he was denying his feelings for her and that too for a long time. So she asked my help and then I made a plan. To make him jealous which involved me kissing Jade. I know it's really stupid but this plan have always worked in movies so....and believe me if I knew you would be there or it will hurt you...I never ever would have kissed her or anybody else."