chapter-13

Penelope opened her eyes slowly in the blinding darkness.

A lightning fell, painting the tiny room in a silver flash as rain filled the night with its incessant sound.

Bloody Mystic Falls storms, she thought as she closed her eyes.

A lightning fell again, its thunder making the window rattle noisily.

She turned on her side, extending a hand to bring Hope's warm body towards her...but her hand fell on the empty mattress.

She opened her eyes at that, automatically feeling for the switch of the bedside lamp. When she pressed it she found the electricity had been cut out.

Great

"Hope?" She called out, her voice rusty and rough with sleep.

And when she didn't found her best friend in their room, she started panicking. She softly called for hope again and again, but no response.

A lightning fell again, its thunder making the window rattle noisily. Penelope screamed Hope's name in fear.

-------------------------------

Hope ran towards rooftop room ignoring how worked up Lizzie already was. But at this point she only cared for her best friend, her Pen.

It took a lightning falling thunderously across the sky for her to catch sight of Penelope. She was seated with her knees to her chest on the far corner of the room, her face hidden behind folded arms; the sound of the thunder tensed up even more her shoulders, a hand gripping viciously strands of her unkempt hair.

Raindrops trickled angrily against the window as she knelt in front of Penelope, carefully covering the hand that was gripping strands of Raven curls with her own. Penelope jumped a little at her touch and Hope felt a pang of sorrow that she ignored in favour of gently disentangle that hand, keeping it securely between her.

"Pen," Hope said softly.

Another lightning fell and Penelope tensed. The hand that was in Hope's grasp shook minutely and she tried to yank it away, but Hope gripped it stronger.

"Pen, babe," she tried again, putting a hand over one of her shoulders. "Look at me, please,"

Minutes passed in tense beats until Penelope lifted her face. Her skin was almost as pale as a sheet and a deep frown stilled her darkened green eyes. A lightning fell then, bringing out the roughness of the scars that covered his forehead and side of his head.

The thunder that followed made Penelope gasp and close her eyes tightly, taking her hand away. Hope couldn't help to hate herself for it.

"Pen," she felt herself say past the lump in her throat. "It's fine, babe," she continued as she caressed Penelope's hair in a way she hoped was soothing. "Everything's fine."

The sky rumbled above them and Penelope opened her eyes; the green in them thunderous and volatile as the storm outside, but it were not as distant as it had looked before.

Hope took that look as incentive and gave Penelope a tiny smile; passing the back of her hand against her cheeks, feeling wetness along the raspiness of stubble against her skin.

Penelope let out a shaky breath; tilting her face to the touch and inhaling deeply against the back of Hope's wrist.

After a couple of breaths, Penelope opened her eyes and grounded Hope to the floor with the intent of her gaze before she wordlessly disentangled herself and pulled Hope towards her by her wrist in a tight hug.

Hope tightened her arms around Penelope, closed her eyes and remained there; hoping that someday her love or someone special would be enough to fix everything and heal Penelope wounds.

-------------------------------

It was truly astonishing the way that Josie could sleep anytime, anywhere, seemingly at the drop of a hat.

A sudden loud scream had Josie jolting back to full wakefulness, her heart hammering unpleasantly. She looked around, and was surprised to see the empty space in her bed which was supposed to be occupied with a certain blonde. She tried switching on bedside lamp, but clearly it was of no use.

Josie pushed the bed covers away, the mattress creaking under her weight as she crossed it and got up on the other side.

She decided to go check the whereabouts of that scream.

-------------------------------

“I hope she's okay” Lizzie murmurs to herself

“Me too”

Josie appears out of nowhere. Lizzie jumps, startled, and for a moment forgets that she was supposed to be here quite.

“ Jesus Christ. Don't ever do that again. Besides what are you doing here?” Lizzie slugs her best friend on the shoulder.

Josie lets out a yelp of pain."Fuck! What was that for!"

"Nothing. Just shut up."

“Is she okay?” Josie asks Lizzie but still looking both Hope and Penelope on the floor hugging each other.

“She is really very different” Lizzie says looking towards Penelope.Josie frowns in confusion.

“What that's suppose to mean?”

“ Oh please, just look at her. She is so strong but also, fragile. She is so kind and gentle but can also be a bitch sometimes.” Lizzie says while Josie nods.

“Yeah, I get it what you mean to say. One minute she is so hot and sexy and in next minute only she is so cute and adorable”

“You didn't meant to say that loud, I guess” Lizzie says supressing her laugh and Josie just nods with cheeks turning a shade of pink.

“I guess, we should go back. They need some time together” Josie says changing topic very smoothly.

-------------------------------

It's ten in the morning on a Sunday, which means that all girls are likely to be still asleep, especially after events of last night.

However this peaceful and quiet morning was disturbed by Josie's phone ringing continuously.

“Josie. Pick your damn fucking phone right now.” Lizzie says covering her ears with pillows on both sides.

“Hello?”

“Oh, yeah of course” Josie ended her call and throwed her phone in a corner with loud thud.

“Shit! What the hel- hey are you okay”

“No. Not at all. Remember dad said, I have to meet this guy?”

“Yeah.So.... what?”

“.....”

“Oh. Shit. What do we do now?”

“I don't know. But we have to figure out soon. He will be here by tommorow morning”

-------------------------------