chapter-14

"I need a favor."

Those are the first few words that Penelope hears coming out of Josie's mouth the moment she had taken her seat and there's not even a single hello . She wishes that Josie was joking, but unfortunately for her, she isn't and Penelope isn't sure whether to be angry and call her out on it or to brush it off and respond to that.

Penelope was very surprised when Josie asked if she can talk something important early in the morning at work. But than again Penelope being Penelope put someone else needs before her. Honestly Penelope doesn't even know why she agreed, because she definitely didn't like Josie, or she?

"Sure, I guess."

In the end, she decides that the latter would be the best option. Throughout her years of experience in dealing with the other, she had come to realize that it's incredibly rare for someone to ask for favors without any clear reasons and she has no reason to doubt that this time is just as urgent as any other times.

"I need you to propose to me."

If Penelope was drinking, she would've spat it out right then like one of the characters in tv shows to dramatize the moment, but she's glad she's not. In fact, she's glad that she chose against ordering something before sitting down because she would probably have no appetite for it after hearing that.

"What?"

Josie only smiles that godforsaken smile that she knows Penelope is so deeply enamoured by.

"I have a reason," she says. Of course she does and Penelope waits for her to continue. "Remember Landon?"

Penelope frowns at that which made Josie realise she haven't told Penelope about her dad's deal. So she starts with beginning.

Landon one of josie's many classmates from the same prestigious university in which Josie's parents had pressured and pushed her to attend and graduate from years before.

Landon parents own a trading business, though. Now he is also in the field of family business.

"What about him?" Penelope ask confused.

'God. Why is she so cute. She is so beautif- Josie. No. Focus'

"My dad wants me to marry him."

Again, Penelope is glad that she's not drinking or eating anything because not only would she would've spat it out, she probably would have broken a glass or drop the spoon and dirties her clothes if she is to have anything in her hands. That doesn't mean that everything is alright, though. In fact, things are much less than alright .

"I thought you didn't want to marry."

Wait. Why the hell am I getting affected. I don't care if she marries or not. I don't. Or do I ?

"I don't, especially not to him or any other boys or girls."

“But why me?”

She asks. She has to ask. If Josie simply wishes to have a fake relationship in front of that guy, then asking one of her friends would have sufficed. There’s no need for it to be specifically her .

“Wouldn’t it be weird since I’m your employee and new here?”

“No, that’s exactly why it has to be you.”

Penelope looks perplexed at that, her head tilted to the side as the gears in her head begins to turn, trying to make sense of the reason behind Josie's conclusion. 

“But what if your parents find out? I mean I'm married right?”

In response to which Josie wiggles her eyebrows with a smirk plastered on her face.

“Ok fine. I'm not married but they dont know that. And shouldn't be known also.” Penelope glares Josie at last part.

“That's why you will help me” Josie says with a grin.

That’s when things start to fall into place for Penelope . 

 Ah

Josie's lips curl into another one of her adorable little smile. The way her eyes light up in delight makes her look like a puppy who has just gotten its treat, and it’s not hard to imagine a tail wagging behind her with the way she’s staring at her.

“I knew you’d get it.”

She does indeed, but the question is whether or not Penelope agrees to help Josie over her family feud, so she decides to do a scaling on both the pros and cons. 

Surely, Penelope doesn’t wish to see Josie getting herself into a loveless marriage, especially when she’s certain that her parents had picked Landon out of everyone due to the fact that they could gain a business advantage if their daughter is to marry the beloved son of the business tycoon.

“I’m not sure, it might be a bad idea.”

That is Penelope's honest thought. Anything could go wrong if they are to be found out and Penelope is hesitant on risking it.

“Pen, please . You’re the only one that can help.”

Now, for Josie to use that nickname against her is weird, Penelope remember very well that she still haven't told Josie her name, than how?

 Please , Pen, just this once.”

All it takes is for Josie to show her a pair of puppy eyes for her to give in, after a little bit of an inner struggle.

“ Fine, but I’m going to regret this.”

“And also don't call me Pen. Only hope can call me that”

“Oh sorry. With that being said ummm.. what's your name”

Penelope just stares Josie

“Okay. I Know we started little off, but hey we can start it again. What do say?”

After taking in Josie's word Penelope thinks it's a good idea, after they have stay under same roof. And surely there is no other reason. It's not because Josie is beautiful. It's not because her voice is so-

“So?” Josie says again breaking Penelope train of thoughts.

“Okay” Penelope smiles

“Hi. I'm Josie Saltzman. Nice to meet you” Josie says extending her hand which Penelope happily accepts.

“Hey. I'm Penelope Park. Nice to meet you too.”

“Penelope Park. Wow.”