The Perfect Sense , part 1

You always hear about the stories of people who lose their eyesight from some horrific accident, or the stories of people who develop degenerative diseases, but the truth is, some people are just born like that.

Some people are born with broken or missing parts, with faults in their genetic code, and some people are born without senses. This isn't one of those stories.

What separates those people from the ones who lose their sight, specifically, is that they've never experience a life in the light. It's easier to live in darkness when you haven't experienced the light. You simply don't know any better, you might even think it's normal until someone tells reminds you it's not. The point still stands though, your concept of sight is unknown, unfamiliar and doesn't exist.

It's a thousand times harder to live your life in the darkness, when you've experienced a life in the light. Everything you know, love and can see, is taken from you in a flash as the world around you encloses into a pool of blankness, and then nothing.

Of course, that's a tad melodramatic. Jennie always was melodramatic, perks of being a theatre major, correction, were the perks of being a sighted theatre major. Now, Jennie was just the blind girl.

Of course, being blind made Jennie's dreams of starring on Broadway even slimmer than they were before. There's not much Broadway can do with a blind girl, and Jennie certainly didn't want to end up as a prop for the rest of acting career. I mean, who wants to be a tree for the rest of their life? So, Jennie quit theatre, and enrolled into Journalism at Seoul University.

The thing about journalism is that writing is more than just about what you can see, writing is about what you can hear as well, and often it's the things many people over look because it's not right there in front of them, that are the most important details. Where many people missed small details and facts, Jennie had listened, and Jennie had picked up on them. That's what made Jennie one of the best reporters that YG had to offer.

Plus, doing journalism had also helped Jennie in her new-found aspiration to author one of the greatest autobiography's of all time, that of a blind woman. That was something that could sell, people would love a story of a blind girl defying all odds and achieving her dreams, it was inspirational.

Jennie was a little cocky, and rambunctious most of the time, and she played the 'blind card' more than not, but who wouldn't in her position? That's not to say her life had become some adventure, and was turned upside down for the better, because it wasn't.

Jennie had her bad days as well, days where she would've given both legs to have her eye sight. The birth of her niece was one of those days. Jennie could just imagine those tiny little hands, those soft chubby cheeks, and those big, brown, sparkly eyes her niece would surely have. But that's all she had, her imagination, and that wasn't always enough.

If down the road Jennie ended up with a family, watching them grow up was something she could never do. The thought was as physically debilitating as it was mentally, Jennie would never be able to see her family for as long as she lived.

The topic of how she lost her eye sight was one that Jennie never really liked sharing. When people asked her, she always made up some elaborate story, the bigger the better. In some ways it helped mask Jennie's pain, and it fueled her ego more than it should have, but the reality was much, much darker.

It happened during the spring break of her freshman year in college. Jennie and a group of friends had decided to travel to Busan for their festivities when one of their car tires blew thanks to an old wrench left on the road. The group had hired out a minivan of sorts, with a horrible steering point and poor centre of gravity with the mass of bodies inside. The driver of the van lost control and drove off a bridge, landing in the water below where their vehicle was submerged in seconds.