19

"Where's my latte?" Mikey said as I came in with Starbucks and Subway from my lunch break.

I laughed, "It's right here, calm your nuts."

"Let me borrow one of your boy toys to calm them for me girl." He said making me laugh as he always did. As you know by now Mikey is gay, but he's one of the best people you could meet. He's from California, about 5'8 and slim, with light brown hair with one side dyed blonde. Mikey has one of the biggest hearts ever, and he's hillarious.

"You are a mess," I said sitting at my desk taking out my sandwich. I had today and tomarrow left, then it was New Year's eve and day. With the way my year ended, I don't know what the fuck else is possible for me, anything could happen.

"How's it going with daddy?"

"Really Mikey?"

"You know what I mean, damn girl." He laughed and took a seat on the other side of my desk, then Tay walked in and shut my door.

"Yeah what is going on between you two?" She said taking the other seat next to Mikey.

"Not much to be honest, he's Lily's dad. That's about it."

Tay laughed, "Yeah girl you know you're lying."

"I'm not, we can't right now. I'm used to doing my own thing and like you said we just walked back into one anothers lives, I don't know how he is anymore or who he's around and same with me. So for now we're just... Lilyana's parents."

"True, well I'm glad you didnt jump into it."

"Yeah I just, I don't know. Can we not talk about this?"

"Well, on the bright side you've got another interview coming up." Mikey said.

"Yeah I heard, it'll get my mind off things, you know who it is?"

"Some sexy guy in sports again, I think a basketball player I'm not too sure."

"Whatever." I said shaking my head.

"Excuse me Liyah, but these flowers were delivered for you." Alina said walking in with a huge bundle of pink roses. "I didn't read the name or anything, but the person who delivered them said they were for you."

"Thanks? I guess." I said trying to hide my smile, roses were my favorite.

"Oh, who are those from? Got a new admirer?" Said Mikey.

"I fucking hope not." I said laughing and looking for the card to see who they were from.

"Um, Liyah? You got another thing of flowers here, someone's popular today." Alina said smiling handing me another set of flowers, but these were white roses. What was going on? I looked at Tay and she shrugged.

"I have nothing to do with this." She said.

"I know, I just- who the hell would send me two things of flowers?" I looked in the second bouquet of flowers to find a small card. "Love Jalen?"

"Jalen? Really? Your first ex?" Tay said looking at me. "Why would he be sending you flowers?"

"Oh, that's the basketball player that you're supposed to be interviewing." Mikey said standing up. "Girl what is it with you and these sports players?"

"It was a while ago, shit before I came to New York. And are you fucking kidding me?"

"Nope, so serious. Now that you said his name I remember that's who it is. Kim had me arrange it this morning." It's bad enough I gotta deal with Josh, now Jalen? The last time I seen him was the day they were about to brawl outside my dorm room.

"Damn, tell Kim you can't. Or call out of work?"

"Tell Kim you can't what?" Kim said as she walked in the room and looked at everyone. Tay and Mikey got up from the seats and hurried out, leaving Kim and I in the room by ourselves.

"Kim, Jalen is an ex of mine."

"Wow, another one? Coinsidence?"

"Maybe, probably not. It was back in Chicago, I'm completely over this one, so it's not going to be a problem. I just still hate seeing him but I can nail this."

"Good, didn't wanna find anyone else for it. How's Josh?" I gave her that look as to say please don't ask, and took my phone out my purse. "I'll take that as an 'I don't know'." She said and laughed. "Just let me know if you need anything before the interview or if your feelings change, wouldn't want another public accident like before. And trust, we will be talking to him extra just so he won't pull something like Josh did."

"It's alright, with that one I have no feeling of remorse, so please don't hesitate to slice his head off." I said smiling, and Kim laughed and walked out my office. With Jalen I know it would just be a small interview, and nothing brought back from past. It was back as far back as like maybe high school. I'd have to be stupid to have any type of feeling towards words he could possibly say years later. I looked at the card from Jalen and since it had his number on it, I decided to call it.

"Hello? Jalen?"

"Wow, Liyah. I always could recognize your voice."

"Whatever. Anyways, what's your deal? Like what kind of game are you trying to play? I must ask since it's been years, and now you just appear."

"No games Liyah, I'm mature now. Just wanted to get you some flowers since you'll be interviewing me soon."

"Yeah, about that-"

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna put you on the spot on live TV. I don't need paparazzi on my ass more than they already are."

"Well, you made that easy for me. Since were on the same page then let's cut this short."

"How've you been?"

"I'm alright, I guess?"

"What are you doing for New Year's?"

"Make resolutions I won't follow and get drunk by myself until all the memories of this year are gone. You know, what everyone does."

"What every sad person does." He said laughing.

"I'm not sad, I just, you know."

"Yeah, I know. That guy that almost kicked my ass that day when I came to see you just puts you on the spot like that. You hide a baby from him."

"It wasn't like that Jalen. Just shut your fucking mouth if you don't know the full stories."

"Alright alright. But why don't you let me come visit you? Or we go out or something."

"I don't think we should."

"Why? Is he your boyfriend?

"Well no, but-"

"Then tonight it is." He said right before he hung up his phone. Ugh are you serious? Well, why not? It's just reuniting with someone from the past. Plus, odds are I'll probably be alone on New Year's anyways, but the last two people I wanted to spend it with was Jalen or Josh.