Chapter Thirty

HARRY

The headache I'm experiencing right now is mind-splitting. Not only due to the hit I had endured earlier from fucking Ryan, but from also having to deal with an annoyed Riley. Getting her into my car was nearly impossible, but if she really thought for one second that I was ever going to let her go home with a clearly broken hand untreated she was insane.

My own anger at the whole situation was stirring around in me, threatening to rear its ugly head at any moment. I was pissed at Carter and Ryan. I was pissed at myself for letting them goad me. And I was pissed at Riley for getting involved. The fact that she was now hurt because of me was almost too much to handle.

Being this close to her was torture. Touching her for the first time in weeks was hard enough, the warmth of her hand spreading through my body quickly brought back memories I had been suppressing for weeks. I had to keep my eyes solely focused on her bruised knuckles, already beginning to swell from the force of her hit. I don't think I could've looked her in the eyes, and have her see how much this was effecting me.

Conflicting emotions ran through on our drive to the hospital. I was angry, of course, hurting, confused, and also elated. Being with her was too much and not enough at the same time. The thought of her coming to my side like that, feeling so overcome with anger that she hit the asshole who sucker punched me. And it was a good hit, too. I was almost certain that Ryan Williams was going home with a broken nose.

I knew why Riley didn't want to go to the hospital. I knew her insurance was pretty much maxed out with her mom's cancer treatments, even with her dad paying a good chunk of their bills. I also knew from experience that this trip could cost over two grand easily. I could practically see the wheels turning in her head about how many meals she would have to skip to not go completely in debt.

My heart hurt for, but there was no way, after what I had done, she would accept my sympathies. Hell, I was lucky I even got her in the car with me. The pain in her hand must've been excruciating for to give in.

My eyes glanced down at her lap where her uninjured hand was clutching the wrist of her now completely swollen hand. I wondered if she had hurt her wrist too, which meant this was going to cost even more than what I was hoping for. Oh well, there's a reason I have an emergency credit card.

The silence was deafening as we finally reached the hospital, and I sighed in relief when I got out of my Jeep and into the fresh air. Jogging over to her side, I opened the door for her, ignoring the glare sent my way when I helped her out. She made sure to keep a wide berth between us, the entire walk to the emergency room doors. I already missed the warmth of her touch, but she had the right idea. We couldn't indulge ourselves when it would lead to nothing but pain. And the last thing I wanted to do was cause Riley more pain than I already had.

"How can I help you?"

"I think she's got a broken hand, and we need to check her wrist as well." I tell the nurse at the desk before Riley can start downplaying her injury, which earns me another glare.

"Okay, fill out these forms, and bring them back up. We'll be with you as soon as possible."

I take the clipboard filled with forms, and lead us to the waiting room. "Do you need me to help you fill these out for you?" I asked quietly.

She shakes her head, "No, I'm fine."

I give her a skeptical look, taking an empty seat. She sits a few chairs down, making me sigh, but I hand over the clipboard anyways. I try my hardest to not pay attention to her, knowing she would just snap at me, but I couldn't help myself. My eyes were trained on her face as she struggled to hold the pen in her broken hand. Taking a deep breath, she switches over to her left hand to try and write.